Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Power steering squeel 2.4L - change belt?

Old 03-29-2011, 02:21 PM
jrr4948
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering squeel 2.4L - change belt?

I have a 2002 2.4L with 190,000 miles. The van still runs like it was new. The only issue is a squeel when the steering wheel is turned all the way to the end either left or right. Otherwise completely smooth, no pull no bucking, no jerking in the wheel. Someone suggested to change the serpentine belt. On the 2002 2.4L is there one belt for everything or is the power steering belt separate as it is in the 1999? How do I gain access to this? Do I remove the front passenger wheel and plastic wheel housing? Thanks...JRR

Old 03-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a belt for the a/c and altenator and a belt for the power steering.

REMOVAL

GENERATOR AND AIR CONDITIONING BELT
  1. Raise vehicle on hoist.
  2. Remove the drive belt shield (Accessory Drive Belt Shield). WARNING: DO NOT ALLOW DRIVE BELT TENSIONER TO SNAP BACK, AS DAMAGE TO TENSIONER AND/OR PERSONAL INJURY COULD RESULT.
  3. Position a wrench on the belt tensioner lug (A/C & GENERATOR BELT TENSION RELEASE).
  4. Release belt tension by rotating the tensioner clockwise (A/C & GENERATOR BELT TENSION RELEASE).
  5. Remove belt.
  1. Carefully return tensioner to its relaxed position.
POWER STEERING PUMP
  1. From top of the vehicle, loosen locking nuts (D) and (F) (Power Steering Pump).
  2. From under the vehicle, loosen the pivot bolt (E). Loosen adjusting bolt (G) until belt can be removed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering squeel 2.4L - change belt?