Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 Grand Caravan, Can I convert rear to disk brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:48 PM
DrZOOM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Grand Caravan, Can I convert rear to disk brakes?

I hate drum brakes. My 2003 Grand Caravan needs rear brake work. I know the newer models have rear disk.

Can I convert mine over to disk easily enough? Is there a walk through somewere online?

If its like a rear disk brake swap on a Honda without having to change the hand brake cables and bias valve,..... I would like to do it. If it requires changing tons of stuff and it messes with the abs computer and what not, then no I wont,.. I guess, I will have to deal with my drum issues.

So,... whats the verdict on a rear disk brake swap on my 2003 Grand Caravan?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:36 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Sure it can be done, but it will also cost. And if you have ABS, you will need to make some changes too.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:22 PM
DrZOOM

I need more details about whats involved in the swap. Preferably from someone that has actually done it.

I can get both the L&R side rear brakes cut off from a wrecker for $150.00. They will cut the axle and leaf spring on both sides with a torch and drop it all in a box to go home with. They cut the hand brake cables at the same time,.. arrggg.

My rear drums are siezed and stuck on. Wheel cylinder bleeders are siezed too. I cant find how to relieve the shoes via the acess hole. My backplate access hole leads to the back of a shoe? It looks like I am going to have to cut the drums off on both sides.

I am at the stage were I prepare a weekend with new drums, wheel cylinders, spring kit and shoes and pay more for all this than the cost of a wreckers rear disk brake setup.

I would much rather convert rather than fix drums if possible. But if ABS, cables, bias valve and more also need to be updated, then I will have to stick with and repair the drums.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:19 AM
p_barrette

Stick with the drums, Ive got the rear disc on myne and I cant stand them. Wait till you have to work on the parking break....youll wish you had drums.

Quick Reply: 2003 Grand Caravan, Can I convert rear to disk brakes?