Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1994 Caravan lost electrical power

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 02:24 AM
casey51234
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Caravan lost electrical power

I have a 1994 Caravan, 3.0l and 3 spd automatic. Recently it lost all electrical power for a moment, then came back (the radio lost it's memory). Now it has done it again but isn't responding to ignition key twiddling, which revived it the first time. A quick look at fuses shows all OK (that I can find). There was no burning of fusible links by smell or sight. I haven't cleaned the battery terminals for a few months but it has started fine and quickly, and it meters plenty of voltage.
I have two aftermarket manuals but they have no sections on the ignition system for this year. The problem if I guessed would be ignition switch or a master relay being sticky/corroded but it is difficult to troubleshoot without a diagram.
Would appreciate it if someone would have a diagram of this part of the electrical system, or at least suggestions of the most likely spots to check.

Thanks, Tim

Old 06-05-2013, 04:24 AM
re33ak
Amateur

May be bought new radio?

Old 06-06-2013, 12:08 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Is your radio factory or aftermarket? And is the problem only with the radio, or are you having starting problem too?

Old 06-06-2013, 01:52 AM
casey51234

I don't care a wit about the radio- it is just a clue that the power to the radio memory was lost as well as everything else. No dash lights, no starting, but the chime does work for forgetting the keys in the ignition. Is there a main relay that controls much of these functions?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:50 AM
dwnowhere1

I've got a 1994 (3.3L) which makes electrical "arcing" sounds when driving at night sometimes with the lights on. Sound appears to come through the left speaker. In my case, pulled all the relays, (including those hidden behind to left of steering wheel above the fuse box) cleaned them, and problem still is intermittent.

In your case, I'd don't think it has anything to do with anything engine related. My best guess would be either the ignition switch, or power control module located on the floor behind the center dash area. There are two modules their, one for air bags, so make sure you disconnect the battery and wait 30 minutes before playing with them or you may set an air bag off -- big $$$ to replace.

If you want to pull relays, they are in the power distribution center (behind the battery) and as stated above, behind the dash (lower dash has to be pulled and then steel cover plate to access).
Again suggest disconnect battery and wait so as not to set off airbag.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Daigrams? Send me a private message with an email address included. How? Click "User CP" at upper left then you'll see "Private Messages" in left column.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just sent power/ground distribution, computer data, starting/charging diagrams. If you would like the whole set plus much much more contact your local library and ask if they subscribe to the EBSCO data base. If they do get their card and their EBSCO password and you're on your way. Once in the data base the ARRC site gives you access to data to just about any vehicle on the road excluding the last 3-5 model years. When I say data I mean not only wiring diagrams but procedures, maintenance schedules, TSBs, recalls, labor rates, and specifications. There are holes in the data but hey, it's free.

Quick Reply: 1994 Caravan lost electrical power