Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

How to remove spark plugs on 2001 Grand Carvan 3.3l

Old 05-11-2011, 02:07 PM
riverjamie
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to remove spark plugs on 2001 Grand Carvan 3.3l

My Caravan has 120k on it, so I think it's about time to replace the spark plugs and maybe the wires. So first what's the easiest way to replace them? I read about removing the plenum or just going around it? There doesn't look like there's much room to go around? Also being that the plugs have lasted this long what would you suggest, oem, or what? Do you think it's a good idea to replace the sparkplug wires also? The car seems to run fine, but just think it's time. Any good photos or videos of this procedure?

Thanks

Old 05-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, replace the wires too. You just reach around the drivers side of the plenum. It doesn't get much easier than a tune up on one of these. PCV valve on the other hand......nightmare. Can't hardly argue with factory plugs if they lasted that long.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:52 PM
riverjamie
Professional
Default Thank you for replying

I was looking at the rear from the drivers side, I just don't see how you can reach the plugs on the back side that are on the passenger side? Factory plugs are Champion RE14PLP5 $5.50 from Rock Auto.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran

Originally Posted by riverjamie
I was looking at the rear from the drivers side, I just don't see how you can reach the plugs on the back side that are on the passenger side? Factory plugs are Champion RE14PLP5 $5.50 from Rock Auto.

I removed my wiper crowl on my 06 to get better access
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...rowl-pics.html

Old 05-12-2011, 12:05 PM
riverjamie
Professional
Default Thank you for replying

I like the idea of removing the wiper ay. Does it really only take 15minutes? Also do you really need the puller for the wiper arms?

After you removed the wiper ay, did it give you alot more access to the spark plugs? Just want to make sure it's really worth it.

I guess it makes alot of sense to maybe take the plenum apart to clean and also to replace PCV valve?

Thank you for all the feedback and the step by step process of removal, it really helps for those who have not performed the procedure.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:06 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran

I like the idea of removing the wiper ay. Does it really only take 15minutes? .
it might take you a bit longer the first time, I just removed it last weekend, 15mins max

Also do you really need the puller for the wiper arms? .
Yes I did need a puller, some have said they can get the arms off with out it,
mine was not popping loose and i didn't want to risk damaging the treads on the wiper studs,

After you removed the wiper ay, did it give you alot more access to the spark plugs? Just want to make sure it's really worth it. .
tons of room at least in my 06, not sure if any differences between yours
I could visually see each plug with out trying hard, and it was definatly worth removing for changing my pcv valve, that thing was a pain

I guess it makes alot of sense to maybe take the plenum apart to clean and also to replace PCV valve? .
not sure I was able to pull mine out with out removing the Plenum, I just removed the wiper crowl

Thank you for all the feedback and the step by step process of removal, it really helps for those who have not performed the procedure.
feel free to shoot me any questions about the removal, and I did stick with the stock double champion plugs and would change your wires while your at it

Old 05-12-2011, 08:16 PM
riverjamie
Professional
Default Thanks again for all the feedback

Just curious did you also replace your wires and PCV, if so what brand did you us and have they been okay?

thanks

Old 05-12-2011, 09:10 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran

Just curious did you also replace your wires and PCV, if so what brand did you us and have they been okay?

thanks
yes I replaced plugs and wires and the pcv valve all at once,

I got the pcv valve from the dealer,

I got my parts from advanceautoparts. I bought them online with a 40% off code, and picked up in store

wires,(have gone way up in price in only a few months
AutoliteProfessional Series Ignition Wireset
Part No 97052

I paid 32.99 then I got (40%) with online code
current price 57.99

plugs
ChampionDouble Platinum Spark Plug
Part No 7440

price 4.29 each,

do an internet search for advanceautoparts online code, most will require a min purchase, but I would just make a few orders so I would get the most savings

Old 05-12-2011, 09:17 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran

also incase you wanted it
the puller I used was the smaller one of this set
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...set-40966.html

I had picked it up on sale

Old 05-22-2011, 10:44 AM
riverjamie
Professional
Default I did the Wiper Assy removal saved a ton of time

Thank you so much for the helpful hint on the wiper removal. It really does take only 15-20 minutes to remove it. It also gives you a chance to clean it out and the bottom edge of the windshield. I also replaced the Spark plugs, wires, and PCV. I also put in the Serpentine Belt and my alternator started making some noise so installed it also. Cleaned out the throttle body.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to remove spark plugs on 2001 Grand Carvan 3.3l