Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: '08 Grand Caravan won't start/ no electrical power

Old 02-03-2017, 10:15 PM
Sasz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 Grand Caravan won't start/ no electrical power

good day guys!

Last tuesday my van won't start. First I switch it on(light from dashboard went on too), and try to turn the key to start, it didn't crank or something. The power just went off. I take out the key and put it again, but there's no power at all. I thought it was just the battery, I checked on the terminals and looks good. I even take off the terminals from the post. When I put back the terminals, there's power again but when I try to start it, power went off. I call my friend to jumpstart my battery and the car runs again, but when I turn off the switch, I can't start it again.

So I thought the the battery needs to be replaced since it's more than 3 years old, and it's freakin cold here right now in toronto. I bought a new battery and put on the car and runs fine for 2 days. When I try to start this afternoon, it happened again. no power again.

which do you think should I check? should I replaced terminals and connections? my alternator is bad, its not charging the battery?

hope you can give me some advise.

thanks!!

Old 02-03-2017, 10:39 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a bad battery terminal. Being in Canada, you really need to look for corroded grounds.

Also, Check for the R03 recall at your local dealer service dept. The WIN module may be pooping out, then waking back up when you disconnect/connect the battery.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Sasz

thanks TNtech!

I manage to start it. I brought back the new battery that I bought and they did some testing and they said the the battery is good and is fully charge. so I guess the alternator is still charging my battery, even the old one.

I asked some of my friends and they told me that I should check the starter relay or the starter and give it a good hit.

I check the relay first. first a took it out and start the car. it didn't start obviously, but the power didn't came off like before. I check the relay, pins are not broken, cleaned those pins and put it back. I try to start it and it worked.

so maybe a bad relay but I'm still not sure. I already bought a new relay incase it won't start again. but if the problem happen again then maybe i'll replace the starter.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:06 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasz
thanks TNtech!

I manage to start it. I brought back the new battery that I bought and they did some testing and they said the the battery is good and is fully charge. so I guess the alternator is still charging my battery, even the old one.

I asked some of my friends and they told me that I should check the starter relay or the starter and give it a good hit.

I check the relay first. first a took it out and start the car. it didn't start obviously, but the power didn't came off like before. I check the relay, pins are not broken, cleaned those pins and put it back. I try to start it and it worked.

so maybe a bad relay but I'm still not sure. I already bought a new relay incase it won't start again. but if the problem happen again then maybe i'll replace the starter.

Clean those relay terminals and be sure to check under the TIPM where all the plugs are and clean them also. You can use some sort of rust penetrant or contact cleaner.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:09 PM
syc06669

had the same problem a few months ago, turned out my alternator was overcharging the system and kept blowing the fuze to the ignition, cost almost $1000 after all the diagnostic and parts.

Search this Thread