Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

front a/c evaporator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:41 PM
heykolohe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front a/c evaporator replacement

I have diagnosed a leak in the system as the front evap. I have been an auto tech for over 30 years but have never pulled a dash on a 2005 grand caravan. I have access to alldata but it lacks the the procedure to remove parts to gain access to the hvac housing. I am close to having the dash out but have encountered a few stumbling blocks. Could anyone help?
Ed Miner
Kolohe Auto Repair
Pahoa,Hi 96778

Old 05-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

REMOVAL

WARNING: TO AVOID PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH, ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, AIRBAG, OCCUPANT CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM, SEAT BELT TENSIONER, IMPACT SENSOR, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT.
WARNING: TO AVOID PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE OCCUPANT CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM (OCS), ONLY THE OCCUPANT CLASSIFICATION MODULE (OCM) AND THE SEAT CUSHION TRIM MAY BE SERVICED SEPARATELY. ALL OTHER COMPONENTS OF THE PASSENGER SIDE FRONT SEAT CUSHION ASSEMBLY MUST BE SERVICED ONLY AS A COMPLETE FACTORY-CALIBRATED, ASSEMBLED AND TAMPER-EVIDENT SERVICE REPLACEMENT PACKAGE. THIS PACKAGE INCLUDES THE FRAME, SPRINGS, PAD, BLADDER, SENSOR, FOAM, WIRING AND A CALIBRATED OCM. WHEN INSTALLING THIS PACKAGE ALWAYS REPLACE ALL OF THE EXISTING COMPONENTS WITH THE NEW COMPONENTS AS A UNIT. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SEPARATE OR DISCONNECT ANY OF THE NEW OCS COMPONENTS IN THE SERVICE REPLACEMENT PACKAGE FROM EACH OTHER, AND DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REUSE ANY OF THE REPLACED COMPONENTS IN THIS OR ANY OTHER VEHICLE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN FAILURE OF THE PASSENGER AIRBAG TO DEPLOY WHEN REQUIRED, OR IN PASSENGER AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT WHEN NOT REQUIRED.
  1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the lower console:
    1. Remove five retaining screws.
    2. Pull rearward and disconnect the auxiliary power outlet.
    3. Remove lower console from vehicle.
  3. Remove the bolts attaching the lower supports to the instrument panel frame (FLOOR TO CENTER STACK BRACKETS).
  4. Remove the bolts attaching the lower supports to the floor pan.
  5. Remove the both left and right side A-pillar trim covers using a trim stick (special tool #C-4755) or equivalent gently pry out on the trim covers and remove.
  6. Remove the instrument panel top cover. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/INSTRUMENT PANEL TOP PAD - REMOVAL).
  7. Disconnect the wire connectors from the Passenger Airbag.
  8. Remove the two screws to each right and left cowl trim covers.
  9. Remove screws attaching instrument panel frame to the dash panel below windshield opening (INSTRUMENT PANEL REMOVAL).
  10. Remove the glove box:
    1. Push in on sides of glove box bin and lower door.
    2. Pivot glove box downward and disengage hinge hooks from instrument panel.
    3. Remove glove box from vehicle.
  11. Disconnect the antenna lead connector from behind the glove box.
  12. Disconnect the right side wire connectors from the HVAC behind the glove box area and the two antenna connectors behind the glove box hinge.
  13. Remove the right end cover by pulling outboard.
  14. Remove the right side A-pillar retaining bolts (RIGHT SIDE INSTRUMENT PANEL ATTACHING SCREWS). There are two 13 mm bolts and one 10 mm bolt.
  15. Loosen the right side cowl side roll down bolt.
  16. Remove over steering column cover. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/STEERING COLUMN OPENING COVER - REMOVAL).
  17. Remove the cluster bezel. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/CLUSTER BEZEL - REMOVAL).
  18. Remove the lower steering column cover and end cap. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/LOWER STEERING COLUMN COVER - REMOVAL)
  19. Remove the inflatable knee blocker. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/INFLATABLE KNEE BLOCKER - REMOVAL)
  20. Remove the two screws to the hood release handle.
  21. Remove the two steering column fixed shroud retaining screws (STEERING COLUMN SHROUDS).
  22. Remove the four steering column shroud retaining screws. Separate the steering column bearing shroud and steering column shroud and remove from vehicle (STEERING COLUMN SHROUDS).
  23. Disconnect the left side wiring:
    1. Brake switch.
    2. Main bulkhead connector.
    3. Five harness connectors.
    4. Driver airbag connector.
  24. Disconnect the steering column wiring. There are seven connectors and then unclip the harness from the column.
  25. Disconnect the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) harness connector.
  26. Remove the three nuts retaining the steering column to the dash panel steering column mounting bracket and lower column to the floor (STEERING COLUMN MOUNTING BRACKET).
  27. Remove the three nuts attaching the instrument panel to the brake pedal support bracket.
  28. Remove six instrument panel steering column cover plate attaching screws and remove cover plate (LEFT SIDE I/P ATTACHING SCREWS). Remove the screws attaching the instrument panel reinforcement and remove (INSTRUMENT PANEL LOWER REINFORCEMENT).
  29. Remove both the left and right power mirrors:
    1. Using a trim stick or equivalent, gently pry out on mirror trim cover.
    2. Open door and remove the three torx retaining screws.
    3. Disconnect the wire connector and remove mirror from the vehicle.
  30. Feed power mirror wire harness inboard through the A-pillar.
  31. Loosen the left side roll down bolt (LEFT SIDE I/P ATTACHING SCREWS).
  32. Remove the left side A-pillar retaining bolts. There are two 13 mm bolts and one 10 mm bolt (LEFT SIDE I/P ATTACHING SCREWS).
  33. With the help of an assistant remove the instrument panel from vehicle. Lift the instrument panel up off the HVAC so you won't damage the sealing surface of the distribution duct.
  34. If the instrument panel is being replaced, transfer all parts to the new instrument panel assembly.
I have personally done hundreds of these......let me know where you are having specific issues and I'll do what I can.

Quick Reply: front a/c evaporator replacement