Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

PCM, BCM or Trash it

Old 09-05-2011, 10:34 AM
greaper_ca
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile PCM, BCM or Trash it

Hi everyone,

Hope someone can help.

Recently a good friend of mine gave me his 02 van. It runs well but there are problems with it. The instrument cluster, warning lights at the top of the dash and signal lights are basically dead. The only thing working in the instrument cluster are the lights that illuminate in the background. I need to safety this so they have to be working.

Here's what I've done so far:

Check all the fuses.
Did the IOD pull.
Unplugged the battery.
Swapped the instrument cluster of the 02 into my 01. Instrument cluster works.

I had a spare BCM and swapped it into the 02. Still nothing worked. This maybe due to a bad BCM (spare) also.

Some things I would like to do but afraid to do:
I would like to take out the BCM from my 01 and put it in the 02 but because the 02 has the immobillizer option and the 01 doesn't, I'm afraid that it may also affect it. Does anyone know if it will?

The other thing maybe is the PCM. Correct me if I'm wrong, does the PCM dictate what the BCM can operate? If so, that might be my problem.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-05-2011, 01:19 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I understand the protocol correctly, the instant you install a BCM into a vehicle with immobilizer the PCM immediately programs the BCM. From that point on, you cannot install that BCM in any vehicle without immobilizer.

Also, since you know that the cluster works, check the negative battery terminal on the 02 van. Many times you'll find corrosion inside the molded lead battery terminal. That corrosion prevent the cluster from getting good ground. Unfortunately you have to cut it apart to find out. But hey, what have you got to lose--a $2 battery terminal?

Old 09-05-2011, 02:08 PM
22mopar22
Banned

dont forget about wires under the PDC, i've come across a lot of these 01-07 vans with corroded and broken wires there.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:06 PM
greaper_ca

Thanks guys,

@Rick
This van doesn't have a molded negative battery terminal, unless you're referring to a different part.

@mopar 22
When you say PDC, is this the PCM you're referring to? or the fuse panel?

One thing to add. I checked to see if power was getting to the BCM, pulling out the power connector at the BCM and verifying using a meter. There is obviously power getting there.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:16 PM
vabear
Professional
Default Bcm

On my '96 the headlights came on all on their own. I pulled negative battery cable for about 30 minutes but that did not help. Then during Irene I moved her to higher ground, disconnected negative cable and two days later came to bring her home, connected negative cable, started her up and so far (one week later) all is well. Can you try disconnecting negative cable overnight and see what happens?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Nedrubber

I have the same problem. Will be anxious to see what kind of answers you get.

Last edited by Nedrubber; 09-07-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 PM
22mopar22
Banned

Originally Posted by greaper_ca
Thanks guys,

@Rick
This van doesn't have a molded negative battery terminal, unless you're referring to a different part.

@mopar 22
When you say PDC, is this the PCM you're referring to? or the fuse panel?

One thing to add. I checked to see if power was getting to the BCM, pulling out the power connector at the BCM and verifying using a meter. There is obviously power getting there.
I say PDC not that is not the PCM, the PCM is the engine computer, I'm talking about the PDC that's the power distribution center. take out the battery, flip the pdc over and check the plugs under the PDC. I live in the rust belt and fix 5-10 of these vans every year for corrosion problems in this spot.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:52 PM
greaper_ca

Originally Posted by 22mopar22
I say PDC not that is not the PCM, the PCM is the engine computer, I'm talking about the PDC that's the power distribution center. take out the battery, flip the pdc over and check the plugs under the PDC. I live in the rust belt and fix 5-10 of these vans every year for corrosion problems in this spot.
Well Mopar, you were absolutely RIGHT! There was a corroded wire that had broken away. So I proceeded to stripped the covering off, attached a new connector by soldering the wire to it and jiggled the connector into the plastic housing. Plugged it back in the PDC, closed it and started the van. Low and behold I got my cluster back. All this by not having to purchase a PCM or another BCM from the yard!

Thanks again guys.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:59 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Thats for the update.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:58 PM
22mopar22
Banned

wow pretty good guess for a rookie. I guess all this internet reading is making me a better arm chair mechanic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCM, BCM or Trash it