Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Happy with van. 22 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:53 AM
wtribeflyer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happy with van. 22 mpg

Quick history. 1996 GC LE 3.3 116k on the ticker. Bought it with known bad trans about 6 months ago. Installed a used known good 2003 trans in it and also did several other maintenance items. New tires, front brakes, checked belts hoses, etc.

Put 3k on van so far including a trip from Central California to Las Vegas. 425 miles each way. Temp across the desert were as high as 113 degrees!! Several long grades out in the desert warn you to TURN AC OFF TO AVOID OVERHEATING! Never turned the AC off once! Four adults in the van with luggage for 3 days, 2 nights and a cooler full of ice and drinks, so we were pretty heavy!!

The van performed excellent and returned 22 miles per gallon. I drove only 65-70 mph most of time. Slower of course on the grades. On one grade in 113 degree heat I saw the temp gauge rise one mark. Van was smooth and quiet and comfy, except for some wind noise. AC blew very cold. Turned the rear AC off as the girls in the rear were too cold!! The 3.3 is a touch shy on power up the hills but very acceptable! Its a big vehicle to pull with 170 HP.

Just thought I would share a positive experience with you all. This forum is awesome but isn't filled with a lot of positive news. So here is a bit !! CHEERS!

Quick Reply: Happy with van. 22 mpg