Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1995 Dodge Caravan transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 02:33 PM
RiceBW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Dodge Caravan transmission problem

I have a 1995 Caravan with an unusual transmission problem...I think ?
After driving for several miles (anywhere from 20 to 50),the transmission will not shift up after starting from a stop.
It is like it is stuck in 2nd gear. (45 mph @ 3500 rpm)
If I turn the engine off and restart, then shifting returns to normal.
I had the transmission power flushed with BG and shifting is now a lot cleaner under normal conditions but, the strange stuck in 2nd gear problem is still there after it gets hot.
I can even get the shifting to return to normal if I do an engine restart while rolling at speed in neutral.
It acts almost like a relay problem since I would assume that an engine restart would not correct an actual transmission malfunction.
I have also noticed a slight shutter during shifting, just prior to the stuck in second gear symptom starts.
Anyone have any ideas ?

Old 05-24-2007, 01:10 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: 1995 Dodge Caravan transmission problem

You would need to get a scanner and pull out the codes in the EATX controller. In 1995 the ck engine lite doesn't come when you have a transmission problem. After you pull the codes post it.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:48 PM
rocky816

I have a 96 GC and I have similar problems. The van will not go into 4th speed. This is the second transmission, I changed the fluid with atf 3 but the problem is still there. I disconnected the battery overnight and the nest day it shifted into 4th for the first 15 minutes of driving then would not shift up.
Any ideas on what to do before I replace tranny or replace van

Old 06-03-2007, 04:20 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

You need to pull out the codes, which will be stored. and ck CVI's too.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:09 PM
paintrlady
Cool AAMCO diagnosed my transmission problem!

I've been seaching this site for help with my transmission problem (same as RiceBW posted on 5/23/2007), but not much help. After checking with friends for their opinions, they all agreed that I didn't need a whole new transmission (the rebuilt one of 3 years only has 33,000 miles on it). Most thought it was a problem with an electrical element within the transmission. So, I took it to AAMCO, gave them my assessment of the problem, and after a FREE computer check of the system, was told that it was indeed an electrical problem. It needed a new input and output sensor. Total cost of the repair, including new trans filter, gasket and fluid was only $336. Much better than $1,800 for another rebuilt transmission!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:17 PM
wtribeflyer
Professional

Also some really good tips and knowledge on allpar.com http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html
Go through and read the whole thing. It describes this problem and a possible fix

Old 03-22-2011, 11:22 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Welcome to DF
I think i recommended to have the controllers ck for stored codes and did not hear from the members again. That is true, in most cases. You don't need to replace the transmissions. You just need someone with a scanner and the knowledge on transmission.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:01 AM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paintrlady
I've been seaching this site for help with my transmission problem (same as RiceBW posted on 5/23/2007), but not much help. After checking with friends for their opinions, they all agreed that I didn't need a whole new transmission (the rebuilt one of 3 years only has 33,000 miles on it). Most thought it was a problem with an electrical element within the transmission. So, I took it to AAMCO, gave them my assessment of the problem, and after a FREE computer check of the system, was told that it was indeed an electrical problem. It needed a new input and output sensor. Total cost of the repair, including new trans filter, gasket and fluid was only $336. Much better than $1,800 for another rebuilt transmission!

Wow, that's a lot of money for a $15 sensor, $10 filter and $30 for fluid and 1hr labor.

But you're right, it's better than getting sold a new trans that didn't need to be replaced.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 PM
paintrlady
Default Transmission repairs

Thanks guys! I know I overspent for the repairs I had done on my transmission, but none of my friends of family members are handy enough to work on cars. But getting a computer scan to determine the problem is good advice for anyone before assuming the worst about car problems. And thanks for the link to the other site. I'll check that when other mechanical problems come up with my Dodge Caravan... and I know they will! Judy

Old 09-25-2011, 11:55 AM
sd pete

is the input and output sensor located on the outside of the transmission? My transmission doing the same as RiceBW; we had sensor replaced that is located on outside; it did not help. Transmission slips out of gear within a couple of minutes of starting. I can cut off and restart in 1st only to go through same process over and over.

Quick Reply: 1995 Dodge Caravan transmission problem