Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Power steering rack leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:04 PM
weigojmi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering rack leak

I've been noticing random but infrequent noise while steering and my mechanic told me today I had a leaky power steering rack and it needs to be replaced. Also, that my car would not pass inspection with the leak.

I've not noticed any drop in the PS fluid level nor any fluid on the ground (will begin closer inspection) so could it be leaking from internally somewhere?

Is there a stop leak additive I could try before shelling out $500+?

And what about the not passing inspection deal?

Thanks.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

before you put any stop leak in, make sure it is leaking,
also I am not sure, but the stop leak I imagine could also damage the power steering pump by clogging, but just guessing there

the only reason I could see for failing inspection could be loose tie rods at the end of the rack(attached to a new rack) if I rember right

Old 08-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

pretty common for them to leak out the end seals into the bellows boots. I wouldn't use stop leak, usually causes more problems than it fixes.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:57 PM
lovvorn
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prevention !!!

When I buy all my new vehicles I within a year siphon out the factory power steering fluid an replace with stop leak fluid . There are plenty of major brands out there . I use Prestone stop leak . I now never have any problems with leaks .
Corvettes made me do it as there is a lot of heat in a small area that kills rack & pinon seals soon !! My Thoughts Bud

Quick Reply: Power steering rack leak