Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1999 dodge caravan

Old 08-22-2011, 08:27 PM
jimco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Bought a used 1999 caravan and there is no light or power to the push button switch on the a/c or the rear wipers I would think it would be a fuse somewhere .Can any one give me some advice? I also replaced a driverside window modulator or motor and i can't believe the two front windows are actually powered even without the keys in the ignition. Is it right that they have power without the keys and if not is there a problem some where?

My rear vent window's don't work. Wondering if there is a fuse to them. And if some one know's any thing about them.
The two front window switches are working. I can't amagine the vent switches would be bad.

Last edited by jasonw; 09-06-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On your windows, the system uses 2 thermal circuit breakers on the 99s. Trouble is if one pops it will kill power to all windows so they are good. All windows use a common ground so that's good. You probably have two bad window motors. Not at all uncommon. They are not built to last. Pull the interior trim panels, disconnect the motor connector and check for power and ground. If it's there change the motor. The motors can be had for $30. A few bucks at a junkyard.

The good news? Chrysler didn't get around to integrating the power windows into the data bus on your 99 as they did in later years. It could have cost you some big bucks.

Last edited by Cougar41; 08-22-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:55 PM
jimco

I have replaced th door motor fo my driver window and it works great. There is a great diy video on you tube and that probably helped out quite a bit. It only took about 20 minutes or so. And i picked up at the pull and save in about ten minutes or so. Im real suprised it was pretty easy.

Last edited by jimco; 09-03-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: problem fixed
Old 08-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-04-2011 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Continuity
Old 09-03-2011, 08:55 PM
jimco

Originally Posted by Cougar41
On your windows, the system uses 2 thermal circuit breakers on the 99s. Trouble is if one pops it will kill power to all windows so they are good. All windows use a common ground so that's good. You probably have two bad window motors. Not at all uncommon. They are not built to last. Pull the interior trim panels, disconnect the motor connector and check for power and ground. If it's there change the motor. The motors can be had for $30. A few bucks at a junkyard.

The good news? Chrysler didn't get around to integrating the power windows into the data bus on your 99 as they did in later years. It could have cost you some big bucks.
I have changed the modulator and motor and it works just fine but these windows have power without the keys in the ignition. That don't seem right to me. Could that be right? Where are the thermal circuit breakers located? I don't see them marked in iether fuse box.

I have changed the modulator and motor and it works just fine but these windows have power without the keys in the ignition. That don't seem right to me. Could that be right?
Where are the thermal circuit breakers located? I don't see them marked in either fuse box. I have another issue with this vehicle, The heater seems to be leaking in the cab and i don't have any power to the a/c or the rear wipers or delay. Would you know if this is a fuse or a more serious problem? Please help.

Last edited by jasonw; 09-06-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:26 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Thats correct. The vent windows will work without the key.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:10 PM
jimco

My rear vents are not working,I don't know if it's a fuse or what, but the driver and passenger door windows have power without the key. Is that is proper or do you know why that would be? I also noticed that the battery seems to be draining. When i connect the batterycable i can here a clicking noise near the computer by the battery, i wouldnt think that is right. Do you know anything about that ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 dodge caravan