Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2001 Caravan w/3.3l flex

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 04:34 PM
TFP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Caravan w/3.3l flex stalls

My 2001 Caravan w/3.3l flex fuel will just stall after 10-30 minutes running. It is running smooth with no signs of hesitation or misfire. the first time was after 15-20 minutes of driving. I was on the highway (65mph+) and it just died. After I pulled to the shoulder it would crank fine, but not start. I let it sit for 15 minutes or so and I was able to drive again and get off the highway, maybe 1-2 miles, then it died again at the end of the off ramp. After 5 minutes I started it again and pulled off into the gravel.

After getting it towed back to my garage, I replaced the fuel filter at a friends suggestion. This did not fix the issue, I stalled again after 10-15 minutes of driving. The next day I drove the van to the autoparts store for a code check. They found the No Signal from the Crank Sensor in the codes. I replaced the Crank Shaft Sensor. Issue remains. Stalls after 10-15 minutes running. If I let it sit overnight I might get 20-30 minutes of driving.

I cleared the codes at the autoparts store. When it stalled next the check engine light DID NOT come on. The engine light did come on later, bit I think that is I have an evap. code also, but have had that for years. When I replace the Crank Sensor I removed the battery for access and the codes were erased. When it stalled again, there was NO check engine light.

I am at a loss!

Another friend thought a fuel pump...over heats and shuts down...cools off and runs again.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks!

Last edited by TFP; 02-08-2014 at 04:55 PM. Reason: added 'stalls' to the title for clarification
Old 02-09-2014, 03:48 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Was the code a P0340 or P0339. How many miles are on the van?

Old 02-10-2014, 05:44 PM
TFP

I am sorry, I do not know which code, but I will try and find out. The van has 198k.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:07 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

It could be the fuel pump, But that's only a guess without using a fuel gauge to verify the problem.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:42 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

From my experience on these, the CAM is the culprit just as often as the CRANK is. If one of them is shorting, you can get either or both codes. If one shorts bad enough, it can lock the PCM down temporarily or longer, then wipe the memory when it comes back online....so there won't be any codes.

I would be wary of the cheap aftermarket cam and crank sensors. We have had a TON of issues out of them in recent years.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:28 PM
TFP

Thanks for the responses!!

MasterTech- What about the fuel gauge would help you diagnose the pump?

TNTech- Would you think the cam sensor OVER the fuel pump?

Thanks again to you both for the input!! The van is actually running really good right now, well, except for the stalling!! That's what is so frustrating!

Old 02-11-2014, 07:48 PM
TFP

Also, just so you both know, I purchased the Crank Sensor at Napa.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:51 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

I would have a pressure gauge tied into the fuel system and let it run until it quits. This way I could see what the pressure reads.

I would recommend what TNtech had said, replace the cam sensor. I would buy Mopar sensors and TNtech may agree. If you replace the cam sensor, also replace the crank sensor too.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2001 Caravan w/3.3l flex