Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Parkign Brake Cable Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 04:18 PM
jacatack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Parkign Brake Cable Removal

Can anyone help me....I am trying to remove the parking brake cable form a rear brake caliper on a 2009 grand caravan?

Old 09-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pull it out of the bracket first and then unhook it from the caliper. Just push in on the 3 fingers one at a time

Old 06-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Dflamma

Any more detail that you can provide here? I can't seem to remove the parking brake as you describe? It seems taht there is too much tension to remove teh cable as you describe. Thanks,

Old 06-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

the cable is auto adjusting so the cable can be pulled out past the bracket once the fingers are pushed in. There are 3 fingers, two you can see and one usually bottom / front. I push in one finger at a time trying to start with the one I can't see well. **** the caliper that way and you can get the finger past the bracket. Then push the second and get it past. Once you get the third, pull back and get the clip all the way outside of the bracket, then the cable will go through the slot and you can unhook it from the lever on the caliper.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Dflamma

Thanks. Mine seems to have more like 6 fingers...it is a 2008 Grand Caravan.

Somewhere else on the web mentioned usung a 13mm line wrench...so getting it over the fingers that way, compressing them all at the same time.

Any idea on getting the cable back on? Others on teh web have struggled with this.

Some attached cable to the caliper clip and then pulling very hard. There must be a way to simply remove the tension with an adjustment somehow and the hook up without that much trouble.

Or maybe there isn't? Thanks so much for your help!

Old 06-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

doing a pair of rear calipers as we speak. Not going to say I enjoy it, piles of cr@p. 3 fingers is all, it may look like more, but only 3 that I have ever seen. You may be able to go up where the cable comes through the floor, pull the cable out and clamp it, that's how it was done on the older ones. then you can get the end of the cable off of the lever and use the wrench trick for the fingers. I have had no issues putting the cable back on, hook up the end of the cable and pull it out.........maybe I'm just used to it, do these more often than I'd like to.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Dflamma

Thanks Tizzy! Just so I am understanding which side is the three fingers, can you please look at the pic? Which side am I trying to compress the fingers on - the left, correct? See how it is more than 3 fingers...or am I seeing things? Thanks for your patience with me!

Attached Thumbnails Parkign Brake Cable Removal-davidbrake3-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Dflamma; 06-12-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

The fingers are on the right, up against the "L" bracket. Then you pull the cable out through the bracket and the cable goes up through the slot.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

you can see the 2 fingers in your pic and the other is on the bottom side. One on the top and the other facing the L bracket.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Dflamma

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
The fingers are on the right, up against the "L" bracket. Then you pull the cable out through the bracket and the cable goes up through the slot.
O jeez...I am glad we had this chat...I thought it was on the left hand side against the "L" Bracket.

Weird...the right hand side looks solid...like it can't be compressed. Probably why I thought it was the left hand side. Is that because of all the pad debris?

You and others here have been a huge help! Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Parkign Brake Cable Removal