Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2001 Dodge Caravan Rough Idle Question

Old 10-01-2011, 11:36 AM
MDrumm03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Caravan Rough Idle Question

Hey everyone my father has a 2001 Dodge Caravan sport with a 3.3l v6.. He just recently started having a problem where it would shake during regular idle. He changed the coil, dist. cap, spark plugs and wires and no change. The spark plug on cylinder 4 is getting spark but when you remove the plug it is saturated in un-burnt fuel.. All other spark plugs look great. The van will run perfectly fine when he accelerates just doesn't like to idle. He is thinking that it could possibly be one of the fuel injectors is clogged or its broken and spraying too much fuel? Where not to sure but it looks like they are a pain to get at...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Old 10-01-2011, 04:28 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Switch # 2 and #4 injectors and see where that leads you. It's not as hard to get to as it looks. Take off the upper plenum and maybe the wiper cowl assembly if you think you need more room. A bit of a stretch it will be a compression issue but possible. Have you scanned the PCM yet?

Last edited by TNtech; 10-01-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:45 PM
MDrumm03

Okay im in the process of switching them right now.. My brother took the van to autozone and had the PCM checked.. It had apparently showed two codes.. one for something with an oxygen sensor and the other was a mis-fire in cylinder 2.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:39 PM
MDrumm03

Well I switched injectors #2 and #4 and all the van does know is fire up but immediately turns off. That or will spit in sputter for a couple seconds then shut off.. Any Ideas?

Old 10-01-2011, 08:38 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Just switching 2 injectors shouldn't have changed anything. It may be sputtering because you drained the fuel rail and it needs to prime back up. It was just for diagnostic purposes to see if your misfire moved. If this is not the case>>>>>

Facing the car.....follow the injector wiring to the right where it makes a bend towards the driver firewall, there you will see a connector behind the coil. Disconnect it and peel back the wrap on the harness back to the intake. It has velco on it so don't cut it. See if the wires are melted together. Under where the PS reservoir is located to the conector is a well known trouble area.

Last edited by TNtech; 10-01-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:04 PM
MDrumm03

Yea I didn't understand why it wouldn't start after I had switched the two injectors.. I thought perhaps I didnt plug something in after I put everything back together but I checked it over and over and everything was plugged in. I took it back apart and switched the injectors back and it fired right up.. (with the same original problem of course).. but I will check the wiring now and let you know.

Thanks a lot.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:16 PM
MDrumm03

I checked the wiring and it is all perfectly fine.. no melted wires or anything.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:36 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by MDrumm03
I checked the wiring and it is all perfectly fine.. no melted wires or anything.
The black 10 wire connector? Times like this I need pics and don't have them ....

Old 10-01-2011, 10:04 PM
MDrumm03

Yes I believe it is that one.. It was the only connector I saw that had velcro around it as well so I assume that it had to have been the one you were mentioning.. Sorry I'd put some pics up for ya but its dark now and my camera sucks on my phone hah, but i'll try to put some up tomorrow if I don't figure it out.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:11 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by MDrumm03
Yes I believe it is that one.. It was the only connector I saw that had velcro around it as well so I assume that it had to have been the one you were mentioning.. Sorry I'd put some pics up for ya but its dark now and my camera sucks on my phone hah, but i'll try to put some up tomorrow if I don't figure it out.
I just wanted to make sure you got a good look at it. At first glance you'll think the wires are just bundled tightly, but if you attempt to separate all of them you will see they are melted to each other. Many of them i've had look great on the surface.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Caravan Rough Idle Question