Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Troubling trouble codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 02:58 PM
illiterat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Troubling trouble codes

2002 Grand Caravan, 3.8....

Problems began before last summer - vehicle was misfiring on two cylinders, and went to a couple of reputable mechanics. All the normal suspected problems were addressed, and at long last a small leak was found in the intake manifold gasket. Repair was made, and it ran good for over 2 months, and then began bucking and hiccupping..... new codes appeared - and the mechanic was baffled by it.

The dealership installed a new PCM and it fried out - so, they installed another PCM with a new injector wiring harness, and all of the misfires went away - runs super smooth, but was idling at 1800 RPM in park, so they thought the computer needed more tweaking, but that did nothing. ... They changed out the PCV valve and the idle has come down to 1500 RPM, but they can't seem to get it any lower.

The only trouble code showing right now is P 1294 - Idle target speed not reached.

In spite of this being a rather lengthy note about an insanely lengthy repair process, you're actually getting the Reader's Digest Version......

My question is, could a bad gas cap, or possibly a faulty Purge Solenoid throw a 1294 code?

Old 02-23-2018, 04:23 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone checked the IAC and related wiring?

Old 02-23-2018, 07:01 PM
illiterat

Good question..... once the original problem was solved at the manifold, I sort of forgotten everything that had been done up to that point. I do know we changed out a temp control sensor, mass airflow sensor, and an O2 sensor in the original hunt.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:54 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The high idle could also indicate a vacuum leak. I know you said the PCV was changed but I have read of others who either got a bad one or the wrong one. Also check the hose that is connected to it.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:09 AM
illiterat

Quick update - the dealership replaced the IAC Motor .... we are back to normal idle, and runs like a top.

Of course, at 118,000 miles, one of the wheel bearings decided to give out - and it was back to my normal mechanic for that repair, which seems to involve a whole lot of hammering to get the fused hub off. I spend my nights dreaming about an invention to fix this simple, but labor intensive problem.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Troubling trouble codes