Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Clicking Noise coming from IPM Fuse Box

Old 10-08-2011, 10:46 AM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Clicking Noise coming from IPM Fuse Box

Our 2002 Dodge Caravan SE has a clicking noise come from the IPM Fuse & Relay Center box.

When i go to start the car there is no ignition. There is no light in the car. A clicking noise can be heard coming from under the hood. When i remove the key, the clicking noise persists. I went to open the fuse box but didnt see anything unusual. I then attempted to remove / reinstall random fuses. The clicking noise persisted until i removed / reinstalled the Front Wiper Relay. I then went back to start the car but no power.

I will attempt to jumpstart the car but can someone tell me what happened to the vehicle? What the heck is this on-going clicking noise even when the car is shut off.

Thanks

Old 10-08-2011, 12:09 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You could have a bad battery and you'll getting a feed back thru the relay. You could also have a bad relay or shorted wires.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:13 AM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like it was the battery, thank you!

Last edited by quantass; 10-10-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:14 AM
MooreFitz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Boat, Clicking under hood and dead battery

Originally Posted by quantass
Our 2002 Dodge Caravan SE has a clicking noise come from the IPM Fuse & Relay Center box.

When i go to start the car there is no ignition. There is no light in the car. A clicking noise can be heard coming from under the hood. When i remove the key, the clicking noise persists. I went to open the fuse box but didnt see anything unusual. I then attempted to remove / reinstall random fuses. The clicking noise persisted until i removed / reinstalled the Front Wiper Relay. I then went back to start the car but no power.

I will attempt to jumpstart the car but can someone tell me what happened to the vehicle? What the heck is this on-going clicking noise even when the car is shut off.

Thanks
My 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan also started clicking after the battery was deader than usual. I have a newer high quality battery, but lately if I accidentally leave any accessories on before turning off the key, it won't start the next time I get in it to go somewhere.

And sometimes, even though I know I haven't left any accessories on, the windshield wipers will come on anyway when I turn the key on & it will need a jump start.

This also happens if I accidentally turn on the blinker when the van is not running, don't realize I have, and leave it and when I come back later to go somewhere, the windshield wipers and the blinker will come on when I turn on the key & it will also need a jump start.

And lately I've noticed the passenger side sliding door sometimes doesn't lock or unlock with the key fob or with drivers door or passenger door button press like it should as well.

As for the clicking, this is the first time that's happened & also first time I've not started the van for longer then usual, so I know, since the wipers came on when I turned the key on, that the battery is going to be super dead because it has been 4 or 5 days it's sat.

I tried pulling out some relays/fuses and I felt them all trying to tell which one was clicking.. But couldn't determine the culprit. It sounds like rubbed or shorted wiring is likely the main culprit.. where exactly would I start looking for that?

No, I can't afford to take it to a shop or dealer and no I don't feel like the battery needs to be replaced because it's newer and good quality, though I will have it checked at the auto parts place next time I go by.
No, I don't think it's a fuse because I checked all the fuses and I doubt it's a relay because all the accessories work after I got it jump started.

AAnd now it will start again for a while. The jump start will be easy because the battery is newer and good quality. And then for no reason soon within the next five starts or 10, the windshield wipers will come on battery will be dead need a jump start again.

Thanks for any input it insight active may have...

Note: Oh and fyi, the ABS light has been on since I got it a year or so ago and it needs a new brake pads especially front passenger.

I didn't do anything about the ABS light because I felt it was likely the older driver I got the van from scraped something like a curb etc. with the van before I got it because I also found the black passenger-side trim piece inside the van instead of outside on the body of the van where it goes, lol. So I figured the gentleman probably just put something out of whack with the ABS sensor when he rubbed/ scraped whatever that caused the trim to also be pulled off the van.

Old 04-27-2022, 04:18 AM
MooreFitz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Boat, Clicking under hood and dead battery

Originally Posted by quantass

Thanks
My 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan also started clicking after the battery was deader than usual. I have a newer high quality battery, but lately if I accidentally leave any accessories on before turning off the key, it won't start the next time I get in it to go somewhere.

And sometimes, even though I know I haven't left any accessories on, the windshield wipers will come on anyway when I turn the key on & it will need a jump start.

This also happens if I accidentally turn on the blinker when the van is not running, don't realize I have, and leave it and when I come back later to go somewhere, the windshield wipers and the blinker will come on when I turn on the key & it will also need a jump start.

And lately I've noticed the passenger side sliding door sometimes doesn't lock or unlock with the key fob or with drivers door or passenger door button press like it should as well.

As for the clicking, this is the first time that's happened & also first time I've not started the van for longer then usual, so I know, since the wipers came on when I turned the key on, that the battery is going to be super dead because it has been 4 or 5 days it's sat.

I tried pulling out some relays/fuses and I felt them all trying to tell which one was clicking.. But couldn't determine the culprit. It sounds like rubbed or shorted wiring is likely the main culprit.. where exactly would I start looking for that?

No, I can't afford to take it to a shop or dealer and no I don't feel like the battery needs to be replaced because it's newer and good quality, though I will have it checked at the auto parts place next time I go by.
No, I don't think it's a fuse because I checked all the fuses and I doubt it's a relay because all the accessories work after I got it jump started.

AAnd now it will start again for a while. The jump start will be easy because the battery is newer and good quality. And then for no reason soon within the next five starts or 10, the windshield wipers will come on battery will be dead need a jump start again.

Thanks for any input it insight active may have...

Note: Oh and fyi, the ABS light has been on since I got it a year or so ago and it needs a new brake pads especially front passenger.

I didn't do anything about the ABS light because I felt it was likely the older driver I got the van from scraped something like a curb etc. with the van before I got it because I also found the black passenger-side trim piece inside the van instead of outside on the body of the van where it goes, lol. So I figured the gentleman probably just put something out of whack with the ABS sensor when he rubbed/ scraped whatever that caused the trim to also be pulled off the van.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clicking Noise coming from IPM Fuse Box