Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: R03 Ignition Recall (Formerly L25)

Old 07-24-2014, 02:15 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Avfromcanada
I had a badkey displayed on the panel due to my fobik falling out from the retention ring multiple times... there was a customer satisfaction notification notice H-30 dealing with this very issue. but, since my VIN was not listed in it although everything else such as model and year and month of manufacturing were as detailed in the notice, Dodge refused to honour it...these notices are no being made public so people can know to watch out for issues, furthermore, this specific issue puzzles me:
fobik are manufactured without vehicle designation..ie not assigned to a VIN until they are brought in and programmed to it... why would they link the fobik key to the VIN when they are not related in manufacturing.

I was told that a coming (sept 2014) recall is going to be extended to more vehicle due to increased complaints but they refuse to do anything now, a month away...in the meantime, I am down to one operational Fobik key, which if it fails, i will have to tow the van to a dealership, pay the tow fee and any amount they charge for programming 2 new keys.

WHAT A JOKE. DODGE/CHRYSLER HAVE THE POOREST CUSTOMER SERVICE..

I am so disappointed and upset with this service that i am now in the process of selling the van (2008 Stow n' go) and look for another vehicle that is not a DODGE. I had bought a VW as a second vehicle...what a difference...

Will not recommend and will be actively deterring people from buying DODGE. Luckily for me I do carry credibility with people i talk to as I hold an Engineering Degree....

PLEASE DODGE THE DODGE TRAP AND SAVE YOUTRSELF SOME MONEY.

VW used the Chrysler minivan re-badged for years. If it was good enough for them, then what does that tell ya?

The 2008 (no miles mentioned BTW) came with a 3/36 warranty. It was up to you to buy an extended warranty.

What is your idea of an acceptable factory warranty period on a car?

Old 07-24-2014, 02:40 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Avfromcanada
I had a badkey displayed on the panel due to my fobik falling out from the retention ring multiple times... there was a customer satisfaction notification notice H-30 dealing with this very issue. but, since my VIN was not listed in it although everything else such as model and year and month of manufacturing were as detailed in the notice, Dodge refused to honour it...these notices are no being made public so people can know to watch out for issues, furthermore, this specific issue puzzles me:
fobik are manufactured without vehicle designation..ie not assigned to a VIN until they are brought in and programmed to it... why would they link the fobik key to the VIN when they are not related in manufacturing.

I was told that a coming (sept 2014) recall is going to be extended to more vehicle due to increased complaints but they refuse to do anything now, a month away...in the meantime, I am down to one operational Fobik key, which if it fails, i will have to tow the van to a dealership, pay the tow fee and any amount they charge for programming 2 new keys.

WHAT A JOKE. DODGE/CHRYSLER HAVE THE POOREST CUSTOMER SERVICE..

I am so disappointed and upset with this service that i am now in the process of selling the van (2008 Stow n' go) and look for another vehicle that is not a DODGE. I had bought a VW as a second vehicle...what a difference...

Will not recommend and will be actively deterring people from buying DODGE. Luckily for me I do carry credibility with people i talk to as I hold an Engineering Degree....

PLEASE DODGE THE DODGE TRAP AND SAVE YOUTRSELF SOME MONEY.
LMAO...you people kill me...join a forum just to bash Dodge because your car has issues. Condemn the whole d@mn line of vehicles because of one model issues....get a life dude.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:26 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I would like to know, Did you buy the vehicle new or used? Because if to brought it used, the recall may have already been done.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:23 AM
Avfromcanada
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
LMAO...you people kill me...join a forum just to bash Dodge because your car has issues. Condemn the whole d@mn line of vehicles because of one model issues....get a life dude.

Really???? I am upset not because of multiple car issues, I am upset because of the manner DODGE is handling the issues and NOT care for its customers. DODGE's poor customer service is independent of model; it runs through the whole company as policy.
Take reading comprehension lessons to understand the meaning of what you read beyond the actual text.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:01 PM
Tasha1ju

[QUOTE=alex9179;2629851]Hi, I'm a brand new member. I've been searching the web for information about the issues we've had in relation to the detent package that's being used to remedy the safety concern.

First, I'm not thrilled with the solution. I feel that the module should be replaced if it is inherently faulty. Second, the stiffness that results from it is causing problems in and of itself. When starting, the fob has to be pushed (nudged) from the START position to the ON position in order for the systems to come on. Sometimes the nudge has a bit too much force to it and it ends up in the ACC position. Other times, I don't nudge it soon enough and the heat will come on-full blast and hotter than Hades. Of course this is intermittant and replicating the problem may take a while. Once, when I turned it on, the engine continued to turn over until I nudged it back. That was odd, and apparently impossible according to the service manager at the dealer.

We took it in for an oil change and repair for the recall on 10/7. I drove it immediately afterward and experienced the stiffness and heat issue (hadn't realized what caused the heat to come on yet). Took it back that same day they looked at it and informed us that our alternatives were to live with it or remove the detent package and risk motor shut-off while driving. They did not experience the heat issue. We took the wait-and-see-how-things-go attitude until now.

Received online survey, wrote about my dissatisfaction. Received call from dealer on Monday and was told that my service agent would contact me immediately. Yesterday (Wed.) he called and I explained the issues, however he talked over me for half of the call and ended up having the service manager call me. Spoke with him and we are bringing the vehicle back next week, again, so that they can look at it. He said that he wanted to rule out any other issues with the ignition that may have not surfaced until after the recall work had been done. I made it very clear that I would only be satisfied with an actual replacement of the WIN module. If any other issues are found with the rest of the system, then those repairs can be made. They've offered us a rental car to use while they work on the van, which hopefully accomodates the 3 child safety seats easily. He's trying to give the impression that they are going above and beyond but I'm half convinced

Old 05-27-2015, 03:41 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just an FYI, the L25 recall has been cancelled and replaced by the R03 recall which replaces the WIN and keys.
The WIN is the ignition module the key goes into

Old 06-05-2015, 08:46 AM
WiRik
Amateur

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
Just an FYI, the L25 recall has been cancelled and replaced by the R03 recall which replaces the WIN and keys.
The WIN is the ignition module the key goes into

Hoping this R03 recall works better than the L25.

Any info on if what changes were done-different design in the FOBIK or just the module itself?

Old 06-05-2015, 10:29 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by WiRik
Hoping this R03 recall works better than the L25.

Any info on if what changes were done-different design in the FOBIK or just the module itself?

On the surface I see nothing. The changes (if any) were likely made inside the WIN module. AT least they give you 2 new key fobs with it.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:47 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TNtech
...AT least they give you 2 new key fobs with it.
Or more if you purchased additional FOBIKs

From the R03 Recall Notice:
NOTE: You will receive two new FOBIK’s as part of this recall procedure. If you purchased additional FOBIK’s in the past, they will also be replaced. Please bring in all FOBIK’s to receive an equal number of replacement FOBIK’s. FOBIK’s that were replaced in the past due to damage will not be exchanged. Depending on FOBIK availability, you may have to return at a future date to receive any additional FOBIK’s.
I hope they will also replace the POD key I purchased as a spare.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:35 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by georgef
Or more if you purchased additional FOBIKs

From the R03 Recall Notice:

I hope they will also replace the POD key I purchased as a spare.

The KIT comes with 2 fobics (that are pre-programmed to that WIN module) regardless of what you happen to have in your possession.

SO far, I have not been able to program any existing keys the customers already have programmed to their existing WIN module. They won't even wake up the accessory position of the switch.

If, at the time of the recall, you buy or bring some Un-Programmed keys with you, they will program them to the new WIN at no charge. Depending on the dealer, they may or may not be willing to program any aftermarket Fobics. Most of them are actually crap anyway. If you buy them from a Mopar parts website online, I think you can get them for about 120 or so each. Over the counter, they're like 165.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: R03 Ignition Recall (Formerly L25)