Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: R03 Ignition Recall (Formerly L25)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 10:18 AM
alex9179
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R03 Ignition Recall (Formerly L25)

Hi, I'm a brand new member. I've been searching the web for information about the issues we've had in relation to the detent package that's being used to remedy the safety concern.

First, I'm not thrilled with the solution. I feel that the module should be replaced if it is inherently faulty. Second, the stiffness that results from it is causing problems in and of itself. When starting, the fob has to be pushed (nudged) from the START position to the ON position in order for the systems to come on. Sometimes the nudge has a bit too much force to it and it ends up in the ACC position. Other times, I don't nudge it soon enough and the heat will come on-full blast and hotter than Hades. Of course this is intermittant and replicating the problem may take a while. Once, when I turned it on, the engine continued to turn over until I nudged it back. That was odd, and apparently impossible according to the service manager at the dealer.

We took it in for an oil change and repair for the recall on 10/7. I drove it immediately afterward and experienced the stiffness and heat issue (hadn't realized what caused the heat to come on yet). Took it back that same day they looked at it and informed us that our alternatives were to live with it or remove the detent package and risk motor shut-off while driving. They did not experience the heat issue. We took the wait-and-see-how-things-go attitude until now.

Received online survey, wrote about my dissatisfaction. Received call from dealer on Monday and was told that my service agent would contact me immediately. Yesterday (Wed.) he called and I explained the issues, however he talked over me for half of the call and ended up having the service manager call me. Spoke with him and we are bringing the vehicle back next week, again, so that they can look at it. He said that he wanted to rule out any other issues with the ignition that may have not surfaced until after the recall work had been done. I made it very clear that I would only be satisfied with an actual replacement of the WIN module. If any other issues are found with the rest of the system, then those repairs can be made. They've offered us a rental car to use while they work on the van, which hopefully accomodates the 3 child safety seats easily. He's trying to give the impression that they are going above and beyond but I'm half convinced it's because they have no intention of actually replacing the part.

I probably sound like a harpy, but I don't feel that my expectations are out of line.

Has anyone had this repair and been unsatisfied? How have you handled it and what was the end result?

Old 10-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Out of line"? Not at all. I have no experience with this other than following and discussing the problem as it made it's way through the forums before the recall. This one needs all the exposure it can get. Here's four more forums to post this. The original problem was a hot topic not too long ago. Hope you can some level of satisfaction. The results may tell us the attitude of the "New Chrysler Corp."

www.chryslerminivan.net
www.chryslerforum.com
www.automotiveforums.com
www.allpar.com(buried in the site)

Old 10-28-2011, 01:34 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF

I can tell you most the techs don't like the ignition switch to be that stiff, I know I don't. Here is a copy of the recall in case you haven't seen it.

July 2011
Dealer Service Instructions for:
Safety Recall L25
Wireless Ignition Node Module Detents
2010 (RT) Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles built through May 17, 2010 (MDH 051700).
2010 (JC) Dodge Journey
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles built through January 23, 2010 (MDH 012300).
The Wireless Ignition Node (WIN) Module on about 166,000 of the above vehicles may have unintentional movement of the Frequency Operated Button Ignition Key (FOBIK) from the “ON” to the “Accessory” position while driving. This could cause unintended engine shut off and increase the risk of a crash under certain driving conditions.
The WIN module must be interrogated using a wiTECH scan tool and certain WIN modules will have a secondary WIN detent system installed. Models IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer used vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process. Subject Repair
Safety Recall L25 – Wireless Ignition Node Module Detents Page 2
Part Number Description
CBN1L251AA WIN Module Detent Package (RT Models)
Each package contains the following components:
Quantity Description
1 Ring, Detent
1 Spacer, Foam
Part Number Description
CBE1L252AA WIN Module Detent Package (JC Models)
Each package contains the following components:
Quantity Description
1 Ring, Detent
1 Spacer, Foam
1 Ring, Trim
The following special tools are required to perform this repair:
 NPN wiTECH VCI Pod Kit
 NPN Laptop Computer
 NPN wiTECH Software
Parts Information Special Tools
WIN MODULE DETENT RING
TRIM RING (JC ONLY)
FOAM SPACER
Safety Recall L25 – Wireless Ignition Node Module Detents Page 3
1. Electronically interrogate the WIN module using a wiTECH scan tool and the following procedure:
a. Connect the wiTECH VCI pod to the vehicle data link connector located under the steering column.
b. Place the ignition in the “ON” position.
c. Open the wiTECH Diagnostic application.
d. Starting at the “Select Tool” screen, select the row/tool for the wiPOD device you are using and then select “Next”.
e. Enter your “User id” and “Password”, then select “OK”.
f. Select the “Finish” tab at the bottom of the screen.
g. From the “Vehicle View” screen, click on the “WCM” icon.
h. Select the “ECU Details” tab.
i. Read the “Supplier ID” line from the list of information.
 If the Supplier ID information indicates that the vehicle is equipped with a “Marquardt” WIN Module, no further action is required. Disconnect the wiTECH scan tool and return the vehicle to the customer.
 If the Supplier ID information indicates that the vehicle is equipped with a “Siemens” or “Continental” WIN Module, install a WIN detent package. Continue with Step 2 of this procedure.
2. Turn the FOBIK to the “Off” position and remove it from the WIN module.
3. Remove the wiTECH pod from the vehicle.
Service Procedure
Safety Recall L25 – Wireless Ignition Node Module Detents Page 4
4. Using a plastic trim stick, carefully remove the WIN module trim ring.
5. For JC models, discard the WIN module trim ring.
6. For RT models, save the WIN module trim ring.
7. Install the detent ring onto the WIN module with the large square slot oriented at the 2:00 o’clock position.
CAUTION: The detent ring must be installed in the correct orientation.
Service Procedure (Continued)
Figure 1 – WIN Module Trim Ring
Figure 2 – Install WIN Module Detent Ring
WIN MODULE TRIM RING
PLASTIC TRIM STICK
WIN MODULE DETENT RING
LARGE SQUARE SLOT
Safety Recall L25 – Wireless Ignition Node Module Detents Page 5
8. Install the foam seal onto the back side of the new WIN module trim ring (JC models) or original WIN module trim ring (RT models).
9. Install the new WIN module trim ring (JC models) or original WIN module trim ring (RT models).
10. Verify proper WIN/FOBIK operation. Service Procedure (Continued)
Figure 3 – Install Foam Seal
Figure 4 – Install WIN Trim Ring with Foam Seal
WIN MODULE TRIM RING
FOAM SEAL
WIN TRIM RING
FOAM SEAL
Safety Recall L25 – Wireless Ignition Node Module Detents Page 6
Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DealerCONNECT Claim Entry Screen located on the Service tab. Claims submitted will be used by Chrysler to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.
Use one of the following labor operation numbers and time allowances:
Labor Operation Time
Number Allowance
Interrogate WIN Module using wiTECH
scan tool.
Interrogate WIN module using wiTECH
and install WIN module detent package.
Add the cost of the recall parts package plus applicable dealer allowance to your claim.
NOTE: See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions.
To view this notification on DealerCONNECT, select “Global Recall System” on the Service tab, then click on the description of this notification.
All involved vehicle owners known to Chrysler are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A generic copy of the owner letter is attached.
Enclosed with each owner letter is an Owner Notification postcard to allow owners to update our records if applicable.
Dealers are encouraged to consider alternative scheduling and servicing approaches for this recall. This repair does not require hoists or other full service facility special equipment and is a Chrysler Mobile Service approved repair.
Completion Reporting and Reimbursement Dealer Notification Owner Notification and Service Scheduling
Safety Recall L25 – Wireless Ignition Node Module Detents Page 7
All involved vehicles have been entered into the DealerCONNECT Global Recall System (GRS) and Vehicle Information Plus (VIP) for dealer inquiry as needed.
GRS provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The owner’s name, address and phone number are listed if known. Completed vehicles are removed from GRS within several days of repair claim submission.
To use this system, click on the “Service” tab and then click on “Global Recall System.” Your dealer’s VIN list for each recall displayed can be sorted by: those vehicles that were unsold at recall launch, those with a phone number, city, zip code, or VIN sequence.
Dealers must perform this repair on all unsold vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also use the VIN list to follow up with all owners to schedule appointments for this repair.
Recall VIN lists may contain confidential, restricted owner name and address information that was obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles of various states. Use of this information is permitted for this recall only and is strictly prohibited from all other use.
If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please contact your Service and Parts District Manager.
Customer Services Field Operations
Chrysler Group LLC Vehicle Lists, Global Recall System, VIP and Dealer Follow Up Additional Information
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
SAFETY RECALL L25
WIRELESS IGNITION NODE MODULE DETENTS
Dear: (Name)
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Chrysler has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in some 2010 model year Dodge Grand Caravan, Dodge Journey and Chrysler Town & Country vehicles.
DUE TO A SHORTAGE OF THE PARTS REQUIRED TO REMEDY YOUR VEHICLE, IN MID JULY YOU MAY CALL YOUR CHRYSLER OR DODGE DEALER TO ARRANGE FOR A SERVICE APPOINTMENT TO CORRECT A POTENTIAL SAFETY DEFECT ON YOUR VEHICLE.
The problem is...
Upon starting your vehicle (VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx), the Frequency Operated Button Ignition Key (FOBIK), may not fully seat in the “On” position. If not fully seated, under certain operating conditions (for example bumpy roads) the FOBIK could inadvertently move to the “Accessory” mode. This could cause unintended engine shut off and increase the risk of a crash under certain driving conditions.
What your dealer will do...
Chrysler will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will inspect the WIN module and install a secondary FOBIK detent system if required. The work will take about ½ hour to complete. However, additional time may be necessary depending on service schedules.
What you must do to ensure your safety...
Parts to complete this recall will be available in dealerships on July 15, 2011. At that time, contact your Chrysler, Jeep, or Dodge dealer to schedule a service appointment. Ask the dealer to hold the parts for your vehicle or to order them before your appointment. Please bring this letter with you to your dealer.
Until this repair is completed, the vehicle can be driven. However, as a precaution, all drivers are advised to remove all objects from the FOBIK (such as additional keys, key chains, etc.) and ensure that the FOBIK is securely and correctly aligned in the “On” position and not aligned between the “On” and “Accessory” position before driving the vehicle.
If you need help...
If you have questions or concerns which your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact the Chrysler Group Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403.
Please help us update our records by filling out the attached prepaid postcard, if any of the conditions listed on the card apply to you or your vehicle. You may also update this information on the web at CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
If you have already experienced this condition and have paid to have it repaired, please send your original receipts and/or other adequate proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement: Chrysler Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 21-8007, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007, Attention: Reimbursement. Once we receive and verify the required documents, reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days.
If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
We're sorry for any inconvenience, but we are sincerely concerned about your safety. Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Customer Services Field Operations
Chrysler Group LLC
Notification Code L25
Note to lessors receiving this recall: Federal regulation requires that you forward this recall notice to the lessee within 10 days.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:37 PM
alex9179

Problem solved. I had a feeling this is how it would turn out!

My WIN module wasn't from one of the recalled manufacturers. The tech didn't even check, just installed the detent package. All that because someone wanted to cut out a step.

We got paperwork verifying it, just in case the vehicle stalls while driving. It never has, but it's wise to be prepared.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's what I figured. When you get one that won't return to the run position, it was a Marquardt model and didn't need it to begiin with. It still amazes me how much that happens. Do your job people.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:39 PM
cathyklemm

I am having the same EXACT problem with my Town and Country.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:44 PM
disapointedwithdodge
Default Bad Win Module/Receiver But not on recall list

A week ago I had my Dodge Grand Caravan SXT towed to the shop. When I went to start my van to go to work it would not start, It said BAD KEY. I first looked on-line to see if I could fix it myself and found that many other people are having this same problem. I called the dealership here in my hometown and I was given a 800 number to call to see if my van was included in the recall for this win module/receiver problem. I was told that my van was NOT included in the recall. In the mean time I had to wait until Monday to call my mechanic and have the van towed to the shop. I was given an estimate of between $500 and $800. Well to my disappointment it was more than the max estimate of $800. So not only am I out $867.55 but also work that I could not perform because my van was in the shop for 7 days. So total days without my van was 9 days. I work for myself so not only am I out the money to repair the van I am also out income that I would have made if my van was not in the shop.
I am very disappointed with Dodge, I will more than likely trade my van in for a Ford as I have never had any problems with Ford vehicles.
Good luck to everyone else who owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with a FOB key I hope you have deep pockets because the dealership is the only one who can fix the problem and they charge up the wazoo... Finally will Dodge refund me the money I paid to repair this problem if later down the road my van is included in the recall?
Disapointedwithdodge.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen that problem before and am sorry for the inconvenience but the WIN module was never recalled. It is just a detent that is being added for the key turning to off while you are driving. And trust me, any manufacturer that has programmable keys, they are the only one's that can fix those too. But yes, save the recipt, if it does become a recall in the future, good possibility of a refund.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can any '08 to present caravan experts here please advise me whether a $100 WIN receiver module can be bought at a dealer and installed without programming it? The nice dealer procedure described above shows the use of a special software to read the manufacturer the WIN, but programming and replacement are not discussed. The WIN is the wireless ignition receptacle you plug your fobik into and twist to start the engine. My '08 SXT minivan has a strange, intermittent "no crank" symptom that many people have reported their dealers successfully fix with a WIN replacement. There are no other symptoms and absolutely no trouble codes or messages so the PCM does not appear to be faulty.

It appears to me that the WIN module is basically an ignition key switch with integral 2-way wireless communications interface. Programming or coding of the fobik must match the PCM, so it does not seem to me like the WIN does not store that coding info. The WIN is simply reading the key code and sending it to the PCM which sees if it's a match for antitheft purposes. If the fobik and pcm are not being changed it seems like a replacement WIN module is possible without special dealer-only programming/flashing tools. The dealers are charging $800 to replace a WIN but I am guessing this is due to the complex troubleshooting involved plus R&R labor. I will soon finish testing to prove the trouble is not the starter relay, parking brake switch, starter solenoid and related engine compartment wiring harness.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The PCM and the WIN/WCM modules both store the key codes. So when replacing a win/wcm module the secret key code needs to be transfer from the PCM. Once you have the correct code put into the module. Everything should work and start and run. Yes, it needs to be done by the dealer.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: R03 Ignition Recall (Formerly L25)