Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Caravan rear VES issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 12:54 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pebbleskn
Hi, I have tried placing DVDs in both units. In the top part it will play on the front screen. In the bottom one below the climate control it will say reading disc but nothing else and then actually look like it is playing but there is no sound and no picture on any of the three TVs. When I press the soft key it just blinks but does not turn it on.

Thanks for replying.

Does the roof DVD screen display "Dodge" or "Chrysler" logo when u open it? or does it stuck in black screen and won't even power ON? If it does, what if you Insert DVD into the Radio, and Use the Radio (soft key) setting to play it on Rear VES?

It is possible you just need a DVD unit, which should be less than $300(parts and labor) for a Exchange unit.

But if the Rear DVD screen doesnt power ON at all no matter what u do, and the Software is up to date, Then your dealer's diagnose is probably right.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:02 AM
nbk12ul
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've not yet been to the dealer. With all the Christmas expenses I've not made this a priority. Was hoping to find a solution I could manage without throwing hundreds at the dealer to tell me I need to throw a thousand at it. Call it wishful thinking

I plan to take it in after new years, but it does sound like the exact same issue. So frustrating, how could this be anything other than bad design? Its not like you can abuse this by watching video on it. Thats the design. I could understand if one of the kids broke the thing off, but aside from the ocasional bump on one of my kids heads from entry or exit with TV's down, there is no physical abuse to these units. Certainly nothing that would cause a dead unit.

For me the hardest part to get over was that it happened the day we took the van in for an oil change. We'd had nothing but good to say about the vehicle overall until that day. I still think its a great system, I just wish it was built to last the life of the van

Please keep me informed if you have any luck on a solution, if it is the middle screen dead, maybe ebay or "junk yard" could be a possible solution as well, should help the price from a grand for 100 dollar lcd screen.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Pebbleskn

Steak59, the middle screen is just black and want power on. If I putt a DVD in, it will read the DVD and look like it is playing from the front screen, but no sound and the rear screens do nothing. Same with with satellite tv which you could normally watch on the in-dash screen and hear over the speakers.

Nbk12ul, I did take the van in the dealership and left it for two days. The tech did a good job researching it but never could figure out the exact problem. He is pretty sure the 2nd row screen is bad but thinks their may be a problem with the DVD unit as well. It is just hard to pay almost $1000 for another screen that may or may not fix the problem and $600 (which is what Chrysler quoted me on the DVD unit in the dash). We are exploring some other options so I will update if we find a cheaper solution. Really disappointed in this. I brag about my van a lot - especially the VES!

Old 12-23-2011, 03:22 PM
nbk12ul

Couldn't agree more on the disappointment. I know for sure I've put at least 3 sales into the dodge dealer by having bought our van. Nothing makes me cringe worse than picking up a load of kids and not being able to use one of the best unique features it has to offer

Maybe there will be enough problems like this to make a silent recall happen! Hey, we can't be the only 2 to have this happen, and I'm sure there will be MANY more unless we just happen to get some very unlucky units...

Please keep in touch, and I'll do the same with any developments.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:03 AM
uprising
Default Add me to the list

Same thing happened to our 2008 T&C about two weeks ago. Just randomly stopped working except for the front DVD. Haven't been to the stealership yet.

Has anyone called to report this directly to Chrysler yet?

Old 12-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Pebbleskn

So, I tried turning on my VES again yesterday and it worked!?!?!? The delearship had it for two days last week and we felt confident that the technician tried everything he could to figure out what was wrong and it never powered up for him. A friend mentioned trying to turn it on again after a really cold morning. It still hasn't been real cold, but the temps dropped a little so I figured I would give it a try. My van has been turned off and on several times now and the VES was still working this morning.

When it came on yesterday, I took it back to the delearship to show them, but the tech who looked at it last week was busy with another vehicle. One of the service guys took a look at it so he could make note of what it was doing in case it goes out again.

Right now we think it is an electrical problem centered around that 2nd row tv unit. Possibly a short or something.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:43 AM
nbk12ul

Mine worked for 1 more day after a month or so of it not working. But it was short lived, it only worked for 1 day. If you are actually past 1 day and its still going, you may be good, but I was shocked when ours worked one day out of the blue.

It was not cold the day ours started working again either. We pulled into a restaurant, ate, got back in the van and one of the kids out of habit opened the screen and it just came on, sound worked, tv worked, all of it. Next day we get back in the van, and nothing like well, "normal" for me now.

Good luck with self repair though, I'd sure take that option if offered!

Old 02-15-2012, 02:34 PM
StandBackBurrito

Any updates on this?

the center Monitor went black in in my 08 grand caravan. Now VES will not turn on. The upper DVD plays fine on the front(in dash monitor). The lower DVD unit tries to read the DVD but nothing ever happens.

The back monitor will power up and show the dodge logo.

Dealership wants $800 to replace center monitor. If this is really the problem I think Ill just get a couple iPads instead

I just can't believe how shoddy dodges are. This is my first and will definitely be my last. I have had too many issues with this hunk of junk.

Also,

Where can I find the upgrade for my RER system?

Thanks for the help

Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Leeleecrews
Default Same issue,except I have volume

nbk12ul,

Thank you for your wonderful description, as I would not have been so descriptive. I own an 08 T&C and I am having the exact problem, however I can hear the volume when it is turned up as high as the volume will go. I was curious if you ever resolved the problem? As I stated, the volume does work, which leads me to believe that it is the 2nd row screen. If it were the DVD player, the volume would not be playing ever so faintly!

Old 08-05-2012, 12:28 AM
TheCoolFamily

I just had an oil change on my 2008 Chrystler Town & Country a few weeks ago and noticed that my entire hard drive on my radio got erased and the rear VES system is doing exactly what was described by nbk12ul. Somehow it has to be electrical because I can't even see the video on the front screen yet I can see that the disc is playing. Did anyone get this issue resolved?

Quick Reply: 2008 Caravan rear VES issue