Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Caravan rear VES issue

Old 07-08-2013, 05:46 PM
StandBackBurrito
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed!!

I ordered the above cable for $25 and bam! problem fixed. This was way cheaper than the $800 my dealership wanted.

The cable I got was a little longer than the OEM cable, but I was able to get it to work by bending it into an s inside the unit. Hopefully this will not shorten the life. We will see.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:11 PM
cc46808
Exclamation replaced ribbon screen still black

I had the same issue as OP and bought the ribbon on eBay, install went great. However, I still have a black screen. The VES does power up when I open the screen this time, did not before. Does anyone know of any other troubleshooting tips? (p1cm01dw1ah, 2nd row.)

Old 05-01-2014, 09:15 PM
Raging_czar
Default Bad ves, can't find the ribbon cable!

Where did you find the VES ribbon cable. Can I get a part number?

Old 05-02-2014, 09:20 PM
88Stepside

Originally Posted by Raging_czar
Where did you find the VES ribbon cable. Can I get a part number?

One cable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161280912162...84.m1555.l2649

Two cables:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151228063474...84.m1555.l2649

Old 06-03-2015, 11:28 AM
kshrop2000
Default Ribbon Replaced - still black screen

Originally Posted by cc46808
I had the same issue as OP and bought the ribbon on eBay, install went great. However, I still have a black screen. The VES does power up when I open the screen this time, did not before. Does anyone know of any other troubleshooting tips? (p1cm01dw1ah, 2nd row.)
I too completed this fix, the 3rd row monitor now works fine, but the 2nd row is still black. Has anyone found what I missed? I disassembled, checked for loose connections, reassembled, with still no luck.

Any help would be great-
Thanks
Kevin

Old 06-05-2015, 11:19 AM
88Stepside

If you are still having issues after the cables have been replaced in both units then I would go back through and double check all connections. The most common area where installers have issues are the ZIF connectors, make sure cables are installed silver side up and that they are seated squarely. The latches on these connectors want to back out when you push in one side, it almost requires three hands, hold the cable with one hand and move back and forth on the latches until both sides are fully closed.

If all connections are good then the issue is probably the second row unit, the logic chip can get damaged from the broken cable, although this is rare and only occurs in about three percent of cases.

Best source for a replacement second row unit is car-part.com.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:57 AM
saffire64
Default 2008 Chrysler T&C VES issue

I am having almost the same problem as mentioned below. My DVD player won't even power on unless third row screen is in done position, but still no sound or picture on any of the 3 screens. 2nd row screen stays completely black. Just replaced the radio portion because it astarted freezing up.
So, what is the solution? Second row screen and DVD player? Just DVD player or just second row screen? Loose or bad wire????
PLEASE help?
Has anyone found out if this has become a recall issue?

Originally Posted by nbk12ul
Well, that was a good update to get, but still exact same response

I found I had only version 9.807, so I updated to 2.402. The update went smooth and perfect, but still no video functions available.

Menu -> Rear VES -> shows "System Off", pressing "turn on" does nothing but blink and make the sound when a button is pushed. Light on lower DVD player for "power" remains off.

While listening to SAT source (works fine), pressing TV shows it init real quick, then shows the current show thats on, then no audio/video, pressing "view video" brings up a blank screen in front (used to work, its not locked out in GA).

Opening the front-rear screen does nothing to anything.

Opening the rear-rear screen causes bottom DVD player light to illuminate, but menu->rear ves-> still shows "system off", pressing power on menu does nothing. Pressing power on lower DVD player does nothing, rear screen turns on with the two boxes side by side saying "1" and "2", but both are blank.

Is there anything else I can try? It sounds as though something died, but I have no idea why... I've never had anything apart on this van, I've never installed any hardware to expand functionality etc, it all just worked perfectly, and even though I'd like to have some other features, I was content for the most part.

HELP!, thanks again!

Old 09-23-2015, 11:35 AM
88Stepside

2nd monitor is the issue. Replace the 2nd row with a used one from Car-Part.com.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Caravan rear VES issue