Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

how to remove pulley from alternator

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 01:44 PM
scotter5
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate so much what you did. That took some time of yours to do so. I hope you get a big blessing for doing so. Pics are very clear.

So i could use a 10mm socket and according to pic2, the socket will go over the shaft in the center.

Pic4 gives me some concern. it is six sided. I would need to find a socket having that look

Again, thank you for what you did.

I'm wondering now if an impact gun could be used. Put socket in place and jolt it off. No need to hold pulley from moving

Old 12-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I never pulled it off so I'm not sure. The alternator I have is still good so I didn't want to pull it off. I guess your going to have to give it a shot and let us know.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:18 PM
scotter5
Veteran

Friend has impact gun, but won't be in town until end of december.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:23 AM
gromittoo
Default Bolt is Left Hand Thread.

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
when you pop off the cover of the pulley, there is a 17mm allen hole. Inside it is a 10mm bolt head. I think the tool holds the pulley while turning the bolt head. I took some pictures but am still trying to figure out how to post them.
I have been trying to loosen the 10mm bolt on my Alternator. I see from the Diagram above why I have not been successful: The bolt is left hand thread! I am planning on trying a 10mm deep socket, an impact driver set to turn right (opposite of what I have been doing), and a band type oil filter wrench to hold the pulley. Wish me luck.

Quick Reply: how to remove pulley from alternator