Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

rattle in rear suspension - bad leaf spring bushing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:41 PM
dredwin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattle in rear suspension - bad leaf spring bushing?

Hey folks,

Already did a search and didn't come up with an answer to my problem. Got a 98 Grand Caravan w/ 180K miles. Last year (or maybe the year before) I had changed out the shocks and noticed a rattling sound when going over small bumps. I thought it was the leaf spring bushings or something loose. (I actually had a thumping in the front suspension but last week changed out the front sway bar bushings which seemed to do the trick).

When I crawled underneath, it looks like the rear bushing of the leaf spring is worn and maybe the issue but no auto parts store sells them, only the front leaf spring bushings. So my question is...do the front LS bushings go out and the rear bushings don't? Or am I looking at the wrong part in various catalogs.

Yes the shocks bolts are tightened (and retightened last week) so that isn't the issue...any thoughts?

Old 06-25-2009, 03:29 PM
vabear
Professional
Default Rattle

How are the jounce stops (bump stop cones above the rear axle), on my '96they were totally shot

Old 10-24-2011, 12:45 PM
tfrost
Question

Bump
I have the same problem

Old 10-24-2011, 07:50 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The lower shackle bushings were worn down to essentially the bolt on our 2001. They were pretty cheap from the dealer but were not fun at all to get out of there, especially while lying on the garage floor.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:36 PM
mrtinker

I've replaced the rear shocks three times now on our old 97' GCV. It makes a constant like "thumping" noise. We kept looking at the rear seats thinking its one of them but it turned out to be one of the rear shocks. Hope this helps someone out there!

Quick Reply: rattle in rear suspension - bad leaf spring bushing?