Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Random overheating on 2000 3.3L

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 01:19 PM
chichooch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mrTinker,
Thanks for the possibility of an EGR valve. Would such a behavior show up as a fault? Or, would I see any evidence of a failing/faulty EGR valve? As a side note, I did notice a good deal of soot/oily gunk in the intake manifold when I was cleaning the throttle body. Is this normal?

Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 PM
chichooch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've taken over the driving the minivan since my wife experienced the recent overheating two weeks ago. I'm paying close attention to the behavior, coolant levels, fan behavior , etc.
This is what I've recently experienced:
1. Not losing/leaking/dripping any coolant.
2. On the interstate at 65'ish it will begin to overheat; by switching to full cabin heat, the temp returns to normal.
3. After a short trip (like ten miles going to work in the morning), the fans will be on as I pull into my parking space. The seemingly odd thing is the temp gauge is indicating slightly under midpoint of gauge. In past years, the temp is right on the midpoint of the gauge. I've just replaced the sensor (located near the thermostat). Is there another sensor in the system? I'm puzzled by this fan behavior. I wonder if it is coming on, including driving at speed on the interstate, and actually causing an air flow resistance?

I am not discounting your suggestion of a head gasket problem. Before diving into a job that big, I want to be sure. Any suggestions on ruling out the egr valve as MrTinker suggested earlier?

Quick Reply: Random overheating on 2000 3.3L