Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Caravan traction control on icy highway

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:55 PM
rustyedge
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Caravan traction control on icy highway

2007 Grand Caravan, 3.8 liter with traction control, pretty standard Dodge vehicle. For winter driving I use Dunlop winter sport 3D snow tires. I have used these tires on this vehicle the past 4 winters and have never had a problem. I have even boasted how solid and secure the van would feel on the snow and ice.

This past weekend I headed off on a trip and into very windy, blowing snow and icy roads. Many semis were blown off the road because of severe cross winds combined with the icy roads.

Long story short, my van handled scary bad. I even got out to check the tires to be sure I had them mounted on the correct side for proper rotation. They were all at 36psi so I dropped them down to 30 hoping for better grip. The van felt like at any second I would lose control and skid off the road or into traffic passing me in the left lane. Other vehicles were blowing past me so it seemed others were no as freaked out as I was.

Question is, is it possible something is wrong with the traction control causing the van to feel so scary? At slow speeds in icy parking lots it feels fine. I feel the front wheels gripping and spinning like they should and the little “trac” light blinks on the dash. Everything else the way it drives feels fine. Returning home from my trip on good roads for 500 miles the van drove beautifully. Only at highway speeds on slick roads it just did not feel the way it always did. Turning off the traction control did not seem to make any difference. Like I said, I have driven this van with these tires for 4 winter seasons and have never felt it act like it did. Maybe it was just the very windy conditions with extremely slippery roads? Anyone have any suggestions at what I could check? Thanks for any replies.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:17 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

Not to be rude by any means, but if it felt slick and scary... SLOW down.. There is a reason it was sliding around(roads where icy!). If im correct on all dodge's the traction control will disable or you will get a light if there is an issue.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:34 PM
me0418840987
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where I come from, you ain't goin too fast unless you're sideways, and can't keep her between the ditches.

Originally Posted by rustyedge
I have used these tires on this vehicle the past 4 winters and have never had a problem.

Like I said, I have driven this van with these tires for 4 winter seasons and have never felt it act like it did.

Anyone have any suggestions at what I could check? Thanks for any replies.
How much tread is left?

Most winter tires, at least the Blizzaks that I have on my Ram, have 2 different tread compounds in them. When you get down to about 1/2 tread remaining, they are not really a true winter tire anymore.
They start out with a softer tread compound with a silica compound blended into it, and the bottom 1/2 of the tread is not the same.

I notice that the Hankook I pike 409's that I run on my Neon are not as good by the 3rd season as they were when new, new set for next year.

Do you have the tires with the most tread on the rear? That will help you to keep from fishtailing in a FWD vehicle.

Last edited by me0418840987; 01-15-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:20 PM
rustyedge
Amateur

Originally Posted by me0418840987
How much tread is left?

Most winter tires, at least the Blizzaks that I have on my Ram, have 2 different tread compounds in them. When you get down to about 1/2 tread remaining, they are not really a true winter tire anymore.
They start out with a softer tread compound with a silica compound blended into it, and the bottom 1/2 of the tread is not the same.
I think you nailed it. This year will be season 5. The tread depth is measuring 3/16 with only 1/16 showing over the wear bars. They actually don't look real bad to the eye, but measuring them tells the real story.

Thanks for answering my post. I will be extra careful this winter and replace them for next season. Maybe I will get lucky and the mild winter will continue all season.

Quick Reply: Caravan traction control on icy highway