Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Grand Caravan, no return hose to steering reservoir, how's it filter fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Charly1954
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Grand Caravan, no return hose to steering reservoir, how's it filter fluid?

Edited: forgot to add its the 3.8L w/front wheel drive

Last night I was parked, turned my wheels right and backed up, then went to turn wheels left to pull forward and out and it didn't want to turn. I checked the fluid level it was full. Finally got it out, going down the street the steering seems fine until I went to turn, it was like no power steering.

So I thought I'd first change the fluid and get a new reservoir. Then I noticed there was no return hose. With no return hose to the reservoir, how the heck does the fluid get filtered?

Haven't got the reservoir drained yet so I have no idea if there is even a screen filter or screen in the reservoir. Why on earth would they not run a return hose to the reservoir so the fluid would get filtered. Hoses do break down thru time the fluids needs continuoisly filtered. Is there a inline hose filter or is this just a design screwup ?

Hopeing when I get a new reservoir installed with new fluid, that will fix the problem. Hope its not the rack n pinion. Thats to big a job for me to tackle.

Also, since there is no return hose to the reservoir tank it will be tuff to flush the system with new fluid. I probably will just drain the tank, see if I can unhook the return hose to the pump, and run the engine while I have someone pouring in new. Is this how I should flush it?????

Last edited by Charly1954; 06-22-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:29 AM
Charly1954

Got the reservoir emptied and out, no screen filter. Man thats unreal, anything could fall into the reservoir and get end up down in the pump, that is if there is no inline filter before the pump. Also there was allot of slug on the bottom of the reservoir.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:13 PM
mbrahmer
Rookie

I'm pretty surt the remote reservoir is just for convenience since the return line does go to the pump.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:59 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

96 GC 211K miles, never a problem with the power steering and no filter to be found. Hmm.

The nightmares started when Chrysler decided to put a filter in the reservoir starting with 2001s. It's fine mesh clogged easily restricting fluid flow creating noise complaints. Forums are full of them. Chrysler has made a pretty penny on the thousands of reservoirs changed to get rid of the noise.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:05 PM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cougar41
96 GC 211K miles, never a problem with the power steering and no filter to be found. Hmm.

The nightmares started when Chrysler decided to put a filter in the reservoir starting with 2001s. It's fine mesh clogged easily restricting fluid flow creating noise complaints. Forums are full of them. Chrysler has made a pretty penny on the thousands of reservoirs changed to get rid of the noise.
I agree here. I need to change the reservoir on my 02 one of these days...

Besides, it is not normal to have a filter in the power steering system. Most of the time you are pouring the fluid directly into the pump.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:13 AM
Charly1954

58yrs old here and in all those yrs I've had many vehicles and never had power steering problems. So I just assumed there was some type of filter in the more modern ones.

The bottom of the reservoir does have a sludge/slimy black subtances, maybe I need to have the system flushed. Is there a flushing cleaner out there to use, or do I just pop the return hose off stick it in a catch container and with engine running pour new in while I catch to old in a plastic jug.

The auto place told me its probably my rack n pinion. Is there any test I can do to find out what's the problem. It can be only one of two things right? Either the rack pinion or pump. Or since there is no filter can something be clogged?

I assume the power steering seems ok driving down the road because the wheels have little friction when going around a curve But at a stand still or going slow on a turn there is more tire/road friction making it hard to turn. I thought about putting my front end up on jacks so there is no friction on the tires, then turn them to see what happens. Would that tell me anything?

Old 06-24-2012, 04:26 AM
Charly1954

Originally Posted by Cougar41

I had read that but those have a return hose back into the reservoir, which seems smart to me so the fluid can be filtered. On those why spend the cash for a new one, just clean the screen would be easy. Drain, remove, clean screen with carb cleaner, let dry, and install.

Mine had no return hose or filter thats why I made a post. After 12 yrs, 120,000 miles(I bought it used 3 yrs ago), and no filter my system its bond to be dirty.

Bottom line, at worst its probably my rack pinion, at best its probably the pump. I can change the pump if I can get to it, but the rack/pinion I think would be way over my head. I am sure I could figure out how to remove it, but getting a new one back in and set proprely might be a problem.

tks all for the help and info
I appreciate it
Charly

Quick Reply: 2000 Grand Caravan, no return hose to steering reservoir, how's it filter fluid?