Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2011 Grand Caravan Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 01:23 PM
cheeseeater
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Grand Caravan Transmission Problem

I made the worse decision in my life, although at the time it seemed to be the right thing to do. I purchased a 2011 Grand Caravan off the lot on Dec 27, 2011. Not entirely sure what trim package it is, but it does have the top of the line stereo (with 30Gb HD), DVD, power seats, Sto 'n' Go (manual), power driver seat (cloth, no heat). It had 2km on the odo when I took it for a test drive, 26km when I took delivery. So I've put on all the mileage so far, save 2km, which is 3013 to date.

At 1813 km I was driving down the highway, when all of a sudden, the transmission dropped down a number of gears and the tach went to 5500rpm. I immediately stopped the vehicle. It was drivable, but was sluggish starting out and would not shift up. Manual gear selection was not possible. So I drove to a nearby service station and call Roadside Assistance. I was towed 80km to the nearest dealership, where it took 6 days to diagnose the problem (shift solenoid apparently), order the part, install the part and get it working. Meanwhile I missed six days of work.

So I get it back and drive approx 200km to the next city where it happens again. Second gear only. 2035km on the odo. So I drove it to the nearest dealer and this time headed to work with the rental. A week later I go pick it up and yes it's fixed..... but someone had broken into their compound and into 4 vehicles. And yes mine was one of them. So another day to order the passenger side glass since no glass shops stock it. Finally, I get my van back and drive it to work. All is good right? I wish. I just happened to be driving the van back to the city where the second warranty repair was done and when I got about 40km south, BAM, again, second gear only! For the love of %$@&?! I drove it back to the dealer and got another rental.

So here's the problem. First repair was replacing the valve body - not the shift solenoid as I was told. Second repair was replacing the shift solenoid (which was damaged). Now it's back in the shop, with the same problem and what the hell could it be now? I've not been able to find any thing like this in any review, forum, what have you.

Needless to say, I'm having second thoughts about my decision to purchase a new vehicle.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Big Dogy

I hear ya!. I also purchased an '11 back in November and it started off to be a nightmare. I purchased it used with 30,000 kms on it and the first day home it started to act up. At times it wouldn't shift out of first gear (limp mode I have been told) and then it would throw a code. Anyway, after 3 trips back to the dealer and finally after a complete transmission overhaul, all seems to be ok now but I do have my fingers crossed.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:27 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Stuff happens from time to time, BTW Dodge is not the only manufacture to have ever have transmission problems, for some time now Ford is having transmission problems with some of there trucks, maybe Dodge bought some transmission parts from the same manufacture that Ford did. BTW I can say so far we have not had any problems with the transmission in the wife's 2011 Grand Caravan RT that I bought her on Dec 14th.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:40 PM
cheeseeater

*Update*

Dealer says that they're following the tech manual for the repair so now they're going to replace the Powertrain Control Module. I feel like they're just throwing parts at the problem hoping something will fix it. I have a 2400km trip home through the Rockies that I'd like to make without any problems...afterall it is a NEW VEHICLE!

Old 02-06-2012, 07:36 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My step dads 2010 Town and Country 3.8L has been thru 2 transmissions now. I think that Dodge just had a supply of junk transmissions or something but now he hasn't had any problems at all.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:15 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

when u get the vehicle keep exactly what is the milages that they have been in to the shop. second thing is this try not driving in eco mode. ive been reading thats been screwing around with some trannys. mine 10 i caint disable but the 11's i think can. also i think they did a upgrade on the programing but it did not work out i beleive.

if it goes into the shop after u try this i diff be calling chrysler headoffice to put a new tranny in it.
\

Old 02-06-2012, 10:18 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you should request a whole New transmission instead of trying to fix it. Call chrysler head quarter as mentioned.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:19 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DodgeCaravan2010SXT
when u get the vehicle keep exactly what is the milages that they have been in to the shop. second thing is this try not driving in eco mode. ive been reading thats been screwing around with some trannys. mine 10 i caint disable but the 11's i think can. also i think they did a upgrade on the programing but it did not work out i beleive.

if it goes into the shop after u try this i diff be calling chrysler headoffice to put a new tranny in it.
\
I don't think Eco mode is the problem, we have driven our 11 over 2200 miles all with the Eco mode On 100%l of the time for both city and hwy driving, to date we have not had any transmission problems.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:18 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

tried to say some have had issues and by turning it off resolved mostly all there issues other than bit more gas consumption.

Originally Posted by DBLR
I don't think Eco mode is the problem, we have driven our 11 over 2200 miles all with the Eco mode On 100%l of the time for both city and hwy driving, to date we have not had any transmission problems.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 PM
cheeseeater

I have been driving with the ECO mode on.... Geez you'd think that wouldn't be the problem. If this third trip for warranty repair does not fix the problem, then I would expect a new tranny to be the next repair. Afterall, if replacing the valve body, solenoid pack and TCM don't fix the problem, what single part will? I'm picking the van up on Saturday, so I'll see what the deal is then.

Quick Reply: 2011 Grand Caravan Transmission Problem