Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Another Sway Bar clanking Link... with new info

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:45 PM
maxbaby
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Sway Bar clanking Link... with new info

So in my quest to figure out my particular clunking sound, I have searched at length around here and another Forum (Chryslerminivan.net). I found a very interesting lengthy post over there which i hadn't seen over here. They talk about the bracket which actually holds the bushing.

Remember, that bracket is held in place by one bolt. The other end fits into the suspension cradle, kind of hooking into the metal. Well the poster over there found that it was at that point where it hooked it that the banging was occurring. So some of the posters over there have used a piece of tire inner tube or a piece of tubing wrapped around the end that hooks into the cradle to cushion the banging. How long the fix lasts has varied, but with good results and a cheap cheap fix for a do-it-yourselfer.

Now, I'm not a big fan of that forum, and am loyal to ours here. But I also appreciate that others here may also check in over there too, and I think the big picture is that we just want to solve that damned clanking sound. So I provide the link only because of that and to give credit to those who figured out this part of the problem, and not to offend anyone here. But I must admit that once the snow flies here, I will be trying this little fix out. For the record, it would appear to me that one would be best to do both this as well as the bushings at the same time.

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...clunking+noise

One of the other things that was mentioned, is that apparently, the sway bar for a Town and Country is 0.5mm thicker in diameter. There would then be a slight difference in the bushing... I don't know if that is true, as I never saw a definitive answer in that post, but again, just drawing your attention to the possibility in case anyone is swapping parts or assuming they are the same when getting part numbers.

Quick Reply: Another Sway Bar clanking Link... with new info