Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Rear Wiper Won't Make Contact

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Annihilator_X9
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Wiper Won't Make Contact

Anybody have a fix for this? I haven't seriously looked at it yet but my rear wiper doesn't make contact with the window on my 2005 Grand Caravan unless I push it back down. Then it will make one wipe and lose contact again. Can the spring be replaced to force it back down?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 AM
maxbaby
Rookie

Corrosion develops in the joint of that arm. Sometimes you can painstakingly clean it up by removing the arm, soaking it in some WD40 or other type of rust-removing spray. You can try also to get some emery paper in there too. Bottom line is that you'll spend a lot of time trying to clean it up and it will eventually return and you can never really get to the corrosion that's really causing the binding because it's not really exposed. New arm is needed.

Partsbin has the arm listed for $35... Dorman 42893 2001-2007 is the part number

If you choose to replace it, keep in mind that it may be corrroded onto the wiper motor post. This will require some gentle work where you soak the nut down with penetrant and wiggle a bit, and soak it some more. If you pull too hard too fast, you can break the post or in some cases, if you're too aggressive, I've heard that the rear window can get shattered because someone lost their grip on that arm and it flicked into the glass. Slow and steady to remove it. If you have a very small puller, that can help you too.

Last edited by maxbaby; 02-27-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Annihilator_X9
Captain

Thank you very much for the response! I'll see what I can do.

Quick Reply: Rear Wiper Won't Make Contact