Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Disable DRL on 2006 Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:57 PM
mrchgr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Disable DRL on 2006 Grand Caravan

I would like to know if possible how to disable the daytime running lights on a 2006 Grand Caravan. The only fuse box I can find is under the hood and I don't see a fuse for the daytime running lights. I've tried searching on Google about this and can't find the information on how to do it myself as I called the local Dodge dealer and they have never heard anything about this or how they could do it but they want to charge me $40 per half hour to hook the machine up. I did find that if I have a Canadian model that it can't be shut off, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Dan400Man
Professional
Default A possible answer, and another question...

Just a WAG, but you should be able to find the wire connector to the lamp housing and disconnect it there.

Just curious though, why are you doing this?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:06 AM
mrchgr

The headlights on this vehicle are not very good at night and at the end of May we are going to be taking a trip to California. From the checking I have done an HID kit (that I ended already bought) will be better then the replacement bulbs that I can get as far as seeing at night. I jumped the gun when I ordered the kit because I didn't see that you need to turn off the DRL's, you don't really need to do this but the bulbs will last longer if you do. I tried finding the wiring diagram online but could not find one, guess I need to go buy the book, I have never messed with this before and I have no clue on the newer vehicle on doing this kind of stuff.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Dan400Man
Professional

By any chance did you contact the manufacturer of the HID kit to see if they could assist with this? A long shot to be sure, but you might just get lucky.

Assuming no one here can provide the wiring diagram for you, before you buy the book, you might want to check your local library. In addition to Haynes and Chilton manuals, some libraries also have access to Alldata online (alldata.com).

Old 03-10-2012, 10:57 AM
mrchgr

I haven't tried contacting them yet but the instructions that they give you and what I find on their website just says that they need to be turned off to extend the life of the bulbs. I'm hoping the lights work like I think they will cause I would like to put a set on my Charger but I don't have DRL's on it so it should be easier.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:13 PM
mrchgr

Just checked at the library and they don't have any of the books on our vehicle.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Montreal300
Professional

where are you located? If you have a Canadian registered car the dealers cannot turn the DRLs off. It's against the law. Even a US dealer can't do it if the car is tagged as a Canadian car.
Having said that, it is possible to bypass the DRL function with a few relays. I've done it on a 300C to use LEDS as a DRL instead of a low voltage output to the highbeams.
Now, in my opinion, after market HID's are nothing but a huge PITA on any car. I would really lean toward high power halogen driving lights as auxilliary driving lights before I would go anywhere near AM HID's.
Just so you know, my 300 has OEM HIDs which I love!! It's the aftermarket junk that I hate.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:32 AM
mrchgr

I live in Missouri, we had bought the van used. I don't see anywhere it being marked as a Canadian model, unless I'm looking in the wrong place I'm good there.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:44 AM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2006 is TIPM managed and it can be turned off at the dealer. There's no fuse/etc that can be pulled. I turned my Canadian 06 Ram DRL off. It can be done.

Quick Reply: Disable DRL on 2006 Grand Caravan