Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2009 dodge grand caravan e85 removal bad mpg diesel next

Old 03-09-2012, 11:54 PM
midnightdurango
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 dodge grand caravan e85 removal bad mpg diesel next

hey lets start with I got a 2009 dodge grand caravan 3.3 this bit** is giving me around 13-15 mpg maybe even 12 miles mpg city it gives me about 60 miles before the gas light turns on even less and maybe 15-16 highway about 100 miles before the gas light turns on I was wondering if you guys can help me no codes no nothing, when I brought this van the value dropped 10grand almost so trading it isn’t happening I was wondering is it possible to removal the e85 system by changing the sparks, injectors, fuel pump etc there’s roomers going around that the e85 motor is garbage so here’s my next question can I use the non e85 3.3 from 00-06? I really have no choice any input is very much appreciated.

oO any way I can get my hands on the VM diesel 2.8 5sp or even the 2.5 5sp diesel in the European version of this van aka Chrysler voyager or dodge voyager it does almost 40mpg in a dam van why didn’t they introduce this in America its only in euro land!!! If I have to invest 10grand I will come on guys lets get this solved !

Old 03-10-2012, 12:07 PM
midnightdurango
Amateur

Ideas ?

Old 03-10-2012, 03:04 PM
maxbaby
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get in touch with this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKRFY...eature=related

...here's a little more...

http://video.answers.com/how-to-conv...ravan-76361935

I was under the impression that part of the reason for not having the diesel engine in North America had to do with the level of refining required for the diesel fuel we use here versus what they use in Europe, and that the European diesel engine wouldn't run well because of these differences... something like that. But obviously if you can use a north american spec diesel engine and convert it, you'd be okay. If you watch his videos he encourages people with questions to contact him.

Just realized it embedded the video into my response, but if you click on the Youtube link above, you'll see a whole whack of his videos on two different diesel caravan conversions that he has done, and you can contact him that way...

Last edited by maxbaby; 03-10-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:29 AM
midnightdurango
Amateur

what about the flex fuel and that van weight on the is much less then 09 is 4200 in some change so imma need a bigger diesel 2.0 maybe def 2.5 2.8

Old 03-11-2012, 01:36 AM
midnightdurango
Amateur
Old 03-11-2012, 07:29 AM
maxbaby
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by midnightdurango
what about the flex fuel and that van weight on the is much less then 09 is 4200 in some change so imma need a bigger diesel 2.0 maybe def 2.5 2.8
Maybe so, but this guy seems to be one of those people who "makes things work". I just thought he'd be a good resource for you to talk to in order to figure out what you would need to make your van work with a diesel. As for the "flex fuel", not sure what you're asking there. It wouldn't be a consideration if you go to diesel. In any event, interesting idea. And if you figure out the way to do it, you'll be a leader in the field.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:35 PM
gentz
Professional
Lightbulb

Ok this may hurt your feelings but here is the answer, if your really getting that mileage then there is something wrong in the fuel control( may also be different size tires, transmission issues). The thing you must do is take it in to a shop with GOOD drive-ability techs. They can look at fuel trims both long and short, they can even tell you exactly how many mpg you are getting. This will cost you as there are several procedures to follow. But if you want to correct it that is the only way, As per the E85 nonsense, dont use E85, yes its made in USA but cost's you more and gives you less mpg. The engines are the same only changes are in ECM mapping and seals are more resistant as well as the fuel system but if you use plain old unleaded then its the same as the non flex-fuel model....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 dodge grand caravan e85 removal bad mpg diesel next