Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

How to clean EGR passages on Dodge Caravan 2001

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:53 AM
georgi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean EGR passages on Dodge Caravan 2001

Please tell me how to clean EGR passages. I cleaned the EGR Valve 6 months ago, than the code P0401 came up. I cleaned it again and 3 months later - the same problem. I think is not enough to clean the valve but the passages too. But how? Any suggestions or links will be appreciated.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:51 PM
TJeepman
Professional

A lot of the 2001s, 2002s, etcetera didn't even have EGR vals, depending which State or Province they were being shipped to. The two ports were blanked of. My 2002 has no EGR valve. Likely require a computer correction to show no EGR valve.

Cleaning: http://www.ehow.com/how_5895979_clea...e-caravan.html

Here's what Scottie says: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgfT3kuY8lc

Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 PM
georgi
Amateur

TJeepman,
Thank you for the links! I read/ watched these before. The article advice to use carburetor cleaner, the video - throttle cleaner, another guy used brake cleaner. Which one is the best for carbon deposits ?
The video is for Honda. Is it necessary to replace the gaskets for Dodge or to use the same?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:44 PM
TJeepman
Professional

Mopar throttle body cleaner would be the safe way to go. Brake cleaner might be too harsh.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:36 AM
georgi
Amateur

I removed EGR valve and tube. The tube at the engine side was completely clogged.
I used small pry bar to remove the deposit. I let them soaked whole night in acetone, but the result was the same like 15-20 minutes. I used wire to clean the tube but maybe with a type of drain auger will be more effective. Finally I used some metal brushes for guns (Harbor Freight tools). The both openings in the engine were cleaned by the brushes too.
I made some pictures but I didn't get it how to upload them here.

Last edited by georgi; 04-14-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Quick Reply: How to clean EGR passages on Dodge Caravan 2001