Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2011 Grand Caravan Crew upgrade questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:47 AM
Calab
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote starter?

Are these devices you are talking about remote starters, or just the ignition key bypass devices?

Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 AM
RugerRedhawk
Rookie

Originally Posted by LR Bob
Looks simple enough. I've done a bit more research and found that the xpresskits are somewhat finicky. A lot of posters on other forums (many for different vehicle makes) recommend the idatalink version saying that it's much more stable and works more consistently than this xpresskit. They're both about the same price...the idatalink seems to be a little cheaper if you shop around. I've found Amazon has some of the cheaper prices for these units. The main thing is just identifying which vehicle it will be going in so that it can be programmed before being shipped to you, which you would have to have done with the xpresskit as well. I will be ordering this today and will report back with how it went. Hopefully a 10 minute job, but I'm notorious for turning 10 minute jobs into 3 hour jobs!
Which unit did you buy? Did you buy a t harness too?

Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 AM
RugerRedhawk
Rookie

Originally Posted by Calab
Are these devices you are talking about remote starters, or just the ignition key bypass devices?
Just bypass devices, apparently you can remote start by hitting the lock button 3 times if you install one of these.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:39 AM
clsmith

I too just purchased a 2011 Grand Caravan Crew. Uconnect is disabled. How can I enable it?

Old 05-04-2012, 06:43 AM
LR Bob

Originally Posted by RugerRedhawk
Which unit did you buy? Did you buy a t harness too?
I ended up buying the iDataLink ADS AL CA bypass system on eBay for $60. The seller is discountcarstereos and the link is here. The harness I got from Amazon for $25.99; it's the ADS HRN CH$ Harness that is listed on the instruction manual at iDataLink.com for most Chrysler vehicles. here is a link. Each item had free shipping, too.

So for less than $100 I should be able to install a remote start system. The eBay item has been shipped and should get here tomorrow, but the harness hasn't and according to Amazon it is expected to be delivered between 5/10 and 5/15. I will waiting patiently but will keep you updated when I finally do receive everything and attempt an install.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 AM
rodjess532

This works on 2008 and up chrysler vehicles that use the "Tip-Start" ignition. This is the key-less ignition that uses the key fob as the key. These vehicles are REMOTE START READY (RSR) meaning there is no need for an aftermarket remote start. This works by pushing the lock button on the factory remote 3 times to start the vehicle. The unit is just a bypass module that you program to the vehicle. This is plug and play with the t-harness. The only wires I had to hook up were 2 to the light switch for parking light conformation.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:42 AM
RugerRedhawk
Rookie

Originally Posted by LR Bob
I ended up buying the iDataLink ADS AL CA bypass system on eBay for $60. The seller is discountcarstereos and the link is here. The harness I got from Amazon for $25.99; it's the ADS HRN CH$ Harness that is listed on the instruction manual at iDataLink.com for most Chrysler vehicles. here is a link. Each item had free shipping, too.

So for less than $100 I should be able to install a remote start system. The eBay item has been shipped and should get here tomorrow, but the harness hasn't and according to Amazon it is expected to be delivered between 5/10 and 5/15. I will waiting patiently but will keep you updated when I finally do receive everything and attempt an install.
Thanks. I'd like to order this stuff, but I can't find anything that says this will allow you to start the van by hitting the lock button 3 times on the factory remote. Maybe I'm missing it, or just supposed to know it...

edit: ebay seller confirmed it for me.... guess I'll order these two up. What a deal compared to the factory kit I almost had installed for ~$400.

Just ordered the same two things you did. I am on a prime trial, so hopefully the amazon order won't take too long. Although we don't use it much in the summer I'm just antsy to try it out.

Last edited by RugerRedhawk; 05-04-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:34 PM
rodjess532
Old 05-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Calab

Can you test the "three lock" startup without one of these modules?

Put one key in the ignition and then use a second key to press lock 3 times, or hold the key near the ignition and press lock 3 times, etc..

Old 05-06-2012, 07:50 AM
RugerRedhawk
Rookie

Originally Posted by Calab
Can you test the "three lock" startup without one of these modules?

Put one key in the ignition and then use a second key to press lock 3 times, or hold the key near the ignition and press lock 3 times, etc..
Maybe, but not sure if there isn't something extra in the firmware on the device that does the starting? I dunno, the seller confirmed it will work so good enough for me. I'll definitely report back with how it worked once it's done. Should be sometime next week.

Quick Reply: 2011 Grand Caravan Crew upgrade questions...