Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2011 Grand Caravan Crew upgrade questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:07 AM
RugerRedhawk
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LR Bob
Gotcha. I received the harness yesterday and went to put it in. I wish I had good news to report, but it looks like the item bought on eBay was flashed to the wrong program. I called the iDataLink support line and the guy who helped me was able to look up which program was flashed on my module based on the serial number. According to him, the program that is loaded now is for use with an aftermarket system (Viper, etc) and not the factory key fob. When I contacted the eBay seller they said it should be correct but would be happy to reprogram it for me if that's what I want. I'm going to call and verify all this information with iDataLink today just to make sure I'm not jumping the gun on this. The actual install was pretty simple though, so once it's all squared away it won't take long at all to get finalized.
Bummer! I bought from the same guy... I told him specifically that I intended to do remote start by hitting lock 3x... hopefully he got it right. Did you have to remove the trim piece under the steering wheel to get back there?

Old 05-14-2012, 06:40 AM
LR Bob

Originally Posted by RugerRedhawk
Bummer! I bought from the same guy... I told him specifically that I intended to do remote start by hitting lock 3x... hopefully he got it right. Did you have to remove the trim piece under the steering wheel to get back there?
Yes, it's actually very easy. As rodjess stated in post #24, open the door and just yank out the side panel. this is the panel that is covered by the door when the door is closed. When you take off that panel you will see a plastic screw holding the bottom cover (that's close to your knees when driving) on. Remove that screw and you will find two more of the same plastic screws at the bottom of the same bottom cover. One will be on the left and the other on the right. Once those three screws are removed, yank the bottom cover off. He stated to unplug a few things to completely remove the cover, but I just let it hang there. You do have to remove the flexible piece that surrounds the steering wheel column. You can just pull that off easily once the bottom cover has been released. Then you just reach your hand up to the back of the ignition switch and pull at the black plug. I took pictures of the whole process but forgot to load them onto the computer! Left the camera at the in-laws yesterday when we were there for Mother's Day. I'll post pictures when I get it back in the next day or so.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:44 PM
RugerRedhawk
Rookie

Yes, it's actually very easy. As rodjess stated in post #24, open the door and just yank out the side panel. this is the panel that is covered by the door when the door is closed. When you take off that panel you will see a plastic screw holding the bottom cover (that's close to your knees when driving) on. Remove that screw and you will find two more of the same plastic screws at the bottom of the same bottom cover. One will be on the left and the other on the right. Once those three screws are removed, yank the bottom cover off. He stated to unplug a few things to completely remove the cover, but I just let it hang there. You do have to remove the flexible piece that surrounds the steering wheel column. You can just pull that off easily once the bottom cover has been released. Then you just reach your hand up to the back of the ignition switch and pull at the black plug. I took pictures of the whole process but forgot to load them onto the computer! Left the camera at the in-laws yesterday when we were there for Mother's Day. I'll post pictures when I get it back in the next day or so.
Whatever happened with yours? I got mine in today, and when trying to do the steps to program it for my vehicle it just blinks green... It never turns red, or solid green or anything like the instructions said it should.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:55 AM
LR Bob

Whatever happened with yours? I got mine in today, and when trying to do the steps to program it for my vehicle it just blinks green... It never turns red, or solid green or anything like the instructions said it should.
Another disappointing attempt. I received the unit back after returning it to the eBay seller to be reprogrammed. I followed the directions again and I got all the correct colors/blink sequences throughout the install. The only problem is that when I hit the lock button 3 times I get 2 red blinks instead of green blinks, which according to the instruction manual means it was programmed incorrectly. I'm trying to figure out what's going on. I found another forum before ordering everything and a member there installs these units for a local car stereo company. I have emailed him and asked if he could install it for me. If he won't do it then I will just return it and might just try the xpresskit version. I originally was going to buy the xpresskit but heard reviews saying the idatalink was a much better product and more reliable.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:03 AM
RugerRedhawk
Rookie

Another disappointing attempt. I received the unit back after returning it to the eBay seller to be reprogrammed. I followed the directions again and I got all the correct colors/blink sequences throughout the install. The only problem is that when I hit the lock button 3 times I get 2 red blinks instead of green blinks, which according to the instruction manual means it was programmed incorrectly. I'm trying to figure out what's going on. I found another forum before ordering everything and a member there installs these units for a local car stereo company. I have emailed him and asked if he could install it for me. If he won't do it then I will just return it and might just try the xpresskit version. I originally was going to buy the xpresskit but heard reviews saying the idatalink was a much better product and more reliable.
Do you have to do anything with the button on the device? I plugged everything in, close and open door, turn key to on... and it just blinks green. I tried the same thing with it set to the 2x green blinks and got the same results.

Who did you even talk to at iDataLink? They told me that they do not offer support to end users and offered no assistance.

edit 2: ok looks like I need to select data mode, or standard mode, then hold the button to 'set it' then I should be able to program. It wasn't in the instructions. So which do I pick? 1x green blink or 2x green blink?

edit 3: iDataLink has told me that the wrong firmware is on my module as well

Yeah the ebay seller just wants to do a refund, doesn't even want to try reprogramming mine. I don't know if it's an issue with the website giving him the wrong firmware, or he is just loading the wrong one. I'm tempted to just order another iDataLink unit from a different ebay seller so I don't have to return the harness too.

Last edited by RugerRedhawk; 05-22-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:32 PM
LR Bob

Do you have to do anything with the button on the device? I plugged everything in, close and open door, turn key to on... and it just blinks green. I tried the same thing with it set to the 2x green blinks and got the same results.

Who did you even talk to at iDataLink? They told me that they do not offer support to end users and offered no assistance.

edit 2: ok looks like I need to select data mode, or standard mode, then hold the button to 'set it' then I should be able to program. It wasn't in the instructions. So which do I pick? 1x green blink or 2x green blink?

edit 3: iDataLink has told me that the wrong firmware is on my module as well

Yeah the ebay seller just wants to do a refund, doesn't even want to try reprogramming mine. I don't know if it's an issue with the website giving him the wrong firmware, or he is just loading the wrong one. I'm tempted to just order another iDataLink unit from a different ebay seller so I don't have to return the harness too.

I called and spoke with iDataLink twice. Both times they acknowledged that they don't provide assistance to the end users and discourage people from buying their products on eBay but then helped me anyway. I haven't tried calling them since the unit was returned to me, but I might call again to see if the correct firmware is loaded.

In your 'edit 2' block, can you explain how to select data or standard mode? If you try a different eBayer let me know. I know if I try someone else I will be sure to make contact with them to make sure they know what they're doing before I purchase a new unit.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:05 PM
RugerRedhawk
Rookie

I called and spoke with iDataLink twice. Both times they acknowledged that they don't provide assistance to the end users and discourage people from buying their products on eBay but then helped me anyway. I haven't tried calling them since the unit was returned to me, but I might call again to see if the correct firmware is loaded.

In your 'edit 2' block, can you explain how to select data or standard mode? If you try a different eBayer let me know. I know if I try someone else I will be sure to make contact with them to make sure they know what they're doing before I purchase a new unit.
Well on mine, hitting the button on the device changes it from a single green blink, to a double green blink. I read this is where you select different programming options in some firmwares, but the simple fact that it does this at all means that I have the wrong firmware on there according to iDataLink support on the forum. I mean this guy is offering me a refund at least, but it'd be nice if I could just get the proper firmware installed on it.

Last edited by RugerRedhawk; 05-22-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 AM
RugerRedhawk
Rookie

I'm told on the iDataLink forum that you need firmware DBI-RS-CH4 not ADS-RS-CH4. I think iDataLink might just have confusing documentation. Another seller said that this will work, it just costs a bit more: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120906839939...ht_5228wt_1139

Old 05-23-2012, 02:43 PM
RugerRedhawk
Rookie

If it's helpful to anyone else this is the thread that I'm speaking with iDataLink on: http://www.12voltdata.com/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=8196

Old 05-24-2012, 06:52 AM
LR Bob

I'm told on the iDataLink forum that you need firmware DBI-RS-CH4 not ADS-RS-CH4. I think iDataLink might just have confusing documentation. Another seller said that this will work, it just costs a bit more: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120906839939...ht_5228wt_1139
Wow, what a pain. When I returned the unit to the eBay seller I wrote on a note to flash it to the DBI-AL-RS-CH4 firmware. Maybe I should call and verify that is actually what was put on there.

edit: I just tried to register at the other forum you listed so I could post my serial number. Apparently I should have studied what Ohm's Law is, because the verification question you have to answer in order to register blocked me after too many wrong guesses. If you feel inclined could you ask about serial number 777E625D81? When I spoke on the phone to the iDataLink people they said I needed the DBI-AL-RS-CH4 firmware, and you were told to load the DBI-RS-CH4 firmware loaded--a slight discrepancy there. Thought this was going to be painless!

Last edited by LR Bob; 05-24-2012 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Added the second paragraph

Quick Reply: 2011 Grand Caravan Crew upgrade questions...