Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2011 Grand Caravan Crew upgrade questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Calab
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2011 Grand Caravan Crew upgrade questions...

We just purchased a 2011 Grand Caravan Crew and want to do a few updates. Updates we are considering...

- Replace the basic RES radio with an aftermarket Dual DIN nav/bluetooth/DVD unit.
- Install a rear view camera
- Install rear parking assist sensors
- Install two way remote starter
- Swap several light bulbs to LED
- Upgrade headlights to HIDs
- If possible, add the Chrysler "airline lighting" overhead console.

So, with these upgrades in mind I am having some problems...

- The radio opening is 1/4" too small to fit my Dual DIN unit. Are there any DIY articles to make this easier? Can I get away with simply trimming some plastic inside the dash?
- My head unit has a jack for a resistor array for steering wheel controls. I assume that the controls on my Caravan use CanBus to talk to the stock radio. Can I get an adapter so I can retain my steering wheel audio controls?
- Does anyone have an accurate wiring diagram I can use to connect a remote starter? What will I need to add on to override any of the built in theft deterrents?
- Is it possible to mount the Chrysler overhead console in the Grand Caravan?

Any and all assistance is appreciated!

Old 04-11-2012, 02:24 PM
RugerRedhawk
Rookie

In addition to buying the fob and having it programmed, what is needed to get factory remote start on one of these?

Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 PM
rodjess532

These are so easy to add remote start to. No need to buy the factory kit and pay $100`s. You can use your existing remote just by pressing the lock button 3x within 3 seconds. All you need is xpresskit parts "db-all" and wire harness "chthd1". Both can be found on ebay or amazon. The db-all needs to be programmed to your vehicle and most sellers will program it for you just tell them it needs to be flashed "RFTD". Then you only need to hook up 2 wires to the headlight switch. You can even add a 2 way RF kit or Smart Start and start it with your smartphone. http://www.xpresskit.com/DocumentDow...irmwareid=2573 after its wired up follow the instructions on page 18.

Last edited by rodjess532; 04-13-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 PM
RugerRedhawk
Rookie

Originally Posted by rodjess532
These are so easy to add remote start to. No need to buy the factory kit and pay $100`s. You can use your existing remote just by pressing the lock button 3x within 3 seconds. All you need is xpresskit parts "db-all" and wire harness "chthd1". Both can be found on ebay or amazon. The db-all needs to be programmed to your vehicle and most sellers will program it for you just tell them it needs to be flashed "RFTD". Then you only need to hook up 2 wires to the headlight switch. You can even add a 2 way RF kit or Smart Start and start it with your smartphone. http://www.xpresskit.com/DocumentDow...irmwareid=2573 after its wired up follow the instructions on page 18.
Wow thanks, I'll have to look into this in more detail soon, but that looks very promising.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Jerry Scaduto

too bad this is too good to be true. The link contains a damaged PDF file that does not open.

Wow this dodge forums website is annoying and has WAY too much spam and crap popping up.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Calab
Default PDF works here

I just downloaded the PDF and it opens fine.

My problem is that the XpressKit website is very confusing... I have no idea what parts I need to order to add remote start.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:57 AM
LR Bob

Originally Posted by rodjess532
You don't happen to have a write up of the install do you? Would love to do this to our new van.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:16 AM
RugerRedhawk
Rookie

Yeah I second that request, it sounds like a simple install, but I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what needs to be done.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 AM
rodjess532

I saw this on another forum and looked into it further and tried it myself on our 2011 Grand Caravan and it works great. This is "plug and play" with the t-harness that plugs directly into the ignition switch. I have been installing remote starts for years and this is the easiest one I have ever done. It took me less than 10 minutes to install and cost less than $100. There is also a video on youtube about this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BgspwmA4Vc

Old 05-03-2012, 07:08 AM
LR Bob

Looks simple enough. I've done a bit more research and found that the xpresskits are somewhat finicky. A lot of posters on other forums (many for different vehicle makes) recommend the idatalink version saying that it's much more stable and works more consistently than this xpresskit. They're both about the same price...the idatalink seems to be a little cheaper if you shop around. I've found Amazon has some of the cheaper prices for these units. The main thing is just identifying which vehicle it will be going in so that it can be programmed before being shipped to you, which you would have to have done with the xpresskit as well. I will be ordering this today and will report back with how it went. Hopefully a 10 minute job, but I'm notorious for turning 10 minute jobs into 3 hour jobs!

Quick Reply: 2011 Grand Caravan Crew upgrade questions...