Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Caravan vent fan issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:03 AM
xobxdoc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Caravan vent fan issue

Going back to the Dodge Dealer for the third time for vent fan problems. Does anyone know of issues with the vent fan that Dodge knows about? I'm taking my vehicle back in for the 3 rd time in four months because my vent fan keeps cutting off. The last time Dodge replaced a computer board at my cost of course and said this was the problem this time. They are apparently just fixing the symptoms and not getting the cause. I'm into them for over $900.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't have access to my wiring diagrams right now but as I recall the circuit board within the TIPM (fuse box) controls power to the front blower on an 08. Is that what they changed? $900 sounds about right for a TIPM change.

A dealership with any concience would reimberse you for the non fix in some way especially at $900. Start jumping on someones desk or call this "Chrysler Cares" line I keep hearing about.

As for a fix? Realy could be any number of things. Loose connection, bad contacts within a connection, wiring, the HVAC panel switch, the blower motor itself or it's controller under the dash. I have read of the TIPM fixing it.

A known blower problem? Nothing I know of specific to 08s but then I'm not a tech. Sad thing is judging by posts on this and other forums the blower system is a problem across the board for many makes and models.

Last edited by Cougar41; 04-30-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:06 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It could be the Fan Motor itself... fairly common failure.
the circuit board(tipm) is a common failure. I've seen bad A/C control heads and bad blower resistor causing blower to cut out too.
Honestly, there isn't a 100% answer to your problem, you really just have to test it when it is "Cutting out", not much you can do when everything is operating normally.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 AM
xobxdoc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses. My first trip in the shop replaced the blower motor. My second trip replaced the circuit board. I still have the same symptoms. Right now after several minutes of operating , the fan will cut off. After letting it sit for a while, the fan will turn back on but eventually cut off again. Is there a thermal overload associated with this fan?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:34 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The question is, Which circuit board? there are like 3 computer module related to Blower motor operation. Does the reciept says "A/C control unit, Blower Motor Power module, Blower resistor, TIPM, or something like PDC(power distribution center)?

No thermal overload, There is a Fuse, but if that's blown, your blower will flat out not working at all.

Quick Reply: 2008 Caravan vent fan issue