Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 dodge grand caravan starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:10 PM
fixin71
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 dodge grand caravan starting issues

When you turn the key sometimes you get a clicking sound, then turn the key again and it starts right up. Battery & cables/posts are clean and check out fine.
I hear the following can go bad on these vans: relay,solenoid, or starter. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:33 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's the starter that's clicking, either the battery is weak, the starter connections are loose or corroded or the solenoid contacts are shot. If it's the later, and it most likely is, you can change the starter or just the contacts. The solenoid is built into the starter.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:55 PM
joe_83
Amateur

Do you have an aftermarket anti theft system? If so have it looked at, I had to completely remove mine, sometimes it would start sometimes it would just click. I got sick of it after a while and tore it all out.
Or it could be the wire that plugs directly on the starter itself, it is the flat plug (purple in color I believe). It could have become corroded and not making proper contact, I have seen this a couple of times.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:41 PM
CaravanCaraman

mine on my 02 did this about a month ago.. got told the same thing.. weak battery.. not likely the starter.. went and bought a new starter and haven't' had any problems out of it since.. what is happening the copper contacts inside the solenoid are wearing out and losing contact.. unlike the old ford it was a $5 fix but now since they started mounting them directly on the starters you pretty much have to buy a new starter.. hope this helps.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:28 PM
scotter5
Veteran

do you have a nippodenso started. see link because the starter is good but the contacts are bad. rebuild is less money. if it completely stops and your stuck, carry a hammer and give it a tap a few times. this got me home several times. you can always pull the starter and take it for a bench test, free at advance, napa etc.

chttp://www.nationsautoelectric.com/densoparts.html

Old 06-21-2012, 12:26 PM
industrai

Is replacing the starter a big deal? I'm having a very similar issue with my 2003 Caravan Sport. Most times it will start, but sometimes I turn the key and I get a click. All the indicator lights turn on, stereo, fan etc, but the van doesn't turn on. I find that if I experiment with turning the wheel or turning the key slightly it will turn on fine.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:51 AM
fixin71
Smile 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8liter

I finally had to replace the starter two days ago. Replacing starter is a pretty simple job, just jack up front of van & place jack stands under a solid point. Disconnect battery, remove ignition wire (small plug in type), remove large nut to disconnect hot wire. Then remove two starter mounting bolts. (the top bolt is easier to remove from under hood, remove plastic air box from intake for best access.) Hope this helps someone out.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:50 AM
pvanpelt
Unhappy dodge caravan wont start

My 2000 dodge caravan turns over but won't start. It has a new starter, a new ignition switch, a new battery, and a new crank shaft sensor, also a new starter relay. What could the problem be? I have replaced so much and I just do not understand. HELP!

Old 08-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to throw another part at it try a cam sensor. Got a meter? Getting fuel to the fuel rail? getting spark? Gotta have spark, fuel and timing for it to run. Air too but unless a squirrel has curled up in the air intake you've got that.

Last edited by Cougar41; 08-03-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 dodge grand caravan starting issues