Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Hair Line Cracks in Fuel Pump Leaks Thru Cracks Housing

Old 11-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Brother.Dave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened on my '05 MagnumR/T, cost close to $500 mostly in time. Replaced pump, still stank, so the mechanic examined every inch of the fuel line - nothing. Then they took a magnifying glass to the nipple on the fuel pump; sure enough it had hairline crack where the line joined it. Fume free for several weeks , then started getting the odor again (two fuel pumps in the Magnum R/T: one electric, one siphon). I was rolling 100k, clock spring sprung, fuel/voltage gauges & radio not working. Not going to go through that again. Traded for 2010 Certified RX350 w/19k miles.

I don't know if my mechanic found as many cracks as jgonza2 did, but it is definitely a problem.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:54 PM
HenryRansons
Default Dodge Caravan 2005 SXT

I have a fuel leak as well. It have the same leak pattern on the gas tank as the above pictures from JGONZA2. Thanks for everyone's input. I also have the gas line with a wet area of about four inch long. Nevertheless, I have never seen a drip under the vehicle. It does smell when I park the vehicle. I called the dealer where I bought the new 2005 van. They want $330.00 labor and $396.00 for the fuel pump. The parts man said that the 3.3 liter engine takes the same fuel pump as the 3.8 liter. I think I will ask my mechanic about the J.B. weld procedure. The fall back would be Amazon's fuel pump. Thank god there is competition for his kind of work.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:42 AM
LSUfan71
Amateur

My wife's 2005 Caravan SE has a leak at the top of the fuel tank. I'm about to drop the tank today and check it out. Probably the same thing...

Old 08-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Daddy_O

This thread came up in Google search and was very helpful to me so I registered on this site in order to share my experience. 2005 Caravan SXT 3.3 V6 w/out Stow and Go seats. I had the same problem as others have posted: stress cracks in the fuel pump body causing fuel to leak.

I am frugal by nature so I took a shot at user pondwater's suggestion of using JB Weld to repair the cracks and it seems to have worked (thank you, Sir!).

Doing this repair myself saved me about $650 based on the quote I got from my local Dodge place. For anyone considering it, it really wasn't too bad. Just siphon off or use up as much of the fuel in the tank as possible before you start. I put the van up on 4 jackstands and used a floor jack with a piece of plywood on it to lower/raise the fuel tank.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who participated in this thread. It really helped me out.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:56 PM
eprinty1

2006 Caravan. Took car to get tire rotation. They told me it looked like a leak on top of the tank. I had been smelling fumes when car is parked. I bet I have the same issue. Going to drop tank and replace pump. Hopefully it is fairly easy never having done it before.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:50 AM
Daddy_O

FWIW, my JB Weld solution lasted about a month and then the pump began to leak again so I had to replace it entirely. I was able get an AirTex pump from Amazon for about $100 (my van, without the "Sto and Go" seating, takes the less expensive fuel pump). Pretty easy repair, considering I'd already dropped the tank once so I knew what to do. My only tip is to be careful of the vent line that goes over the fuel filler neck. It is the one that passes through a hole in the frame. If you're not careful, it wants to hang up as you are lowering the tank and break off the little fitting it attaches to on top of the tank. Good luck.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:37 PM
eprinty1

Thanks. Dropped the tank for a weekend mechanic it took me about 8 hrs. Fuel pump looks like it has small crack in housing. Delphi fuel pump cost me $114. Saved some big bucks. My biggest problem was figuring out how some of the connectors came off.

Last edited by eprinty1; 11-27-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:44 PM
Colyer

I have found the same issues with cracks in the fuel pump

Old 06-15-2017, 08:55 AM
Paul Monroe
Default Fuel pump housing has hairline cracks

Same hairline cracks in a 06 town and country was there a recall? This is crazy to have so many people driving vehicles with fuel leaking beside there exhaust

Old 12-02-2018, 07:21 AM
attrzaska
Default 2004 Chrysler Town & Country - Fuel Pump Housing Leaking

Started smelling gas vapors in garage after driving vehicle. No obvious leak under hood or under vehicle. Stronger smell noted near rear of vehicle. Could not figure it out for several months. This post helped me identify where to look for the problem. Used cheap endoscope camera (<$20 on Internet) to inspect top of fuel tank and fuel pump housing without needing to drop the tank. Verified that after running car the top of the fuel pump housing appeared "shiny" as if it were slightly wet. Found several areas around the fuel pump outlet boss and exit tube nipple that appeared to be hairline cracks due to their contrast to other areas of the plastic on the top of the fuel pump assembly.
Bought replacement pump on Internet for $59 delivered to my door. Consulted several well done videos on You Tube to understand how to drop the tank and replace the pump including where to find and how to disconnect all of the hoses and couplings. Only tools needed were floor jack, few wood blocks, lug nut wrench to remove drivers side rear wheel, jack stands on rear axel, 15 mm & 13mm sockets for tank hanger straps, small screwdriver, needle nose pliers (to release some of the quick disconnects on the lines). Things came apart remarkably easy for a 14 year old vehicle with 200k miles. Job completed from start to finish in about 4 hours. No more fuel smell. This was a very dangerous problem from a safety aspect not knowing the source of the fuel which was only about 6" from the exhaust system under vehicle. Thank you all for sharing information on this. For all you home mechanics out there I would recommend picking up one of these cheap flexible endoscope camera systems from a site like T-mart on the Internet, only $20 and run on your Smart phone as the display, can take pictures and videos through phone in hard to reach spots, wonderful for inspecting where you can't see directly. Have used it to identify/verify many issues before needing to dis-assemble stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Hair Line Cracks in Fuel Pump Leaks Thru Cracks Housing