Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Caravan Shifting Issues

Old 05-22-2012, 11:24 PM
kbrown200
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Caravan Shifting Issues

Hello everyone, i really need some help. I have a 2000 Caravan with 175k miles on it. First thing in the morning when my wife takes the kids to school it will shift into drive and go just fine. She gets to the stop sign up the block and the engine just revs up until you let off the gas, then it will kick back into 1st. It seems to do it sometimes after it down shifts while you slow down enough like taking a turn. You give it some gas and it will just rev up for about 2 seconds and jump back into gear. Other than that it shifts just perfect. It has a slow transmission fluid leak but it is not low on fluid. The guy i bought it off of put a new tranny in it about 5,000 miles ago, and said the slow leak was from the solenoid pack. I have no idea if that would be the issue, nor do i have a whole lot of money right now to take it to a mechanic. I might add that there are no check engine lights on. A solenoid pack is something i could probably easily change out. If you guys have any ideas of what the problem might be i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Old 05-23-2012, 12:36 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
If the transmission had gone into limp in mode. The check engine waring light would have come on. Sound like you may have loss pump pressure. Which be due to low fluid level.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:30 PM
kbrown200

Thanks for your fast response. Ive been checking the fluid level and it is not low. My wife did get ahold of me today and said the check engine light came on during her drive home today, so ill get that up to autozone and have codes pulled. Ill post my findings.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:00 AM
mbrahmer
Rookie
Default Tranny Issues

I would pull the pan and check the fluid and filter to make sure it can get fluid picked up from the filter. Note the color and smell of the fluid. Look for any large metal parts in the pan ( except the magnet).

On the solenoid pack; the new design does not have the sound deadening cover and should not have a metal plate under the solenoid. Pick up a gasket and replace the leak; it's one connector and 3 bolts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Caravan Shifting Issues