Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Power Window Won't Open / Close

Old 06-27-2012, 04:19 PM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Power Window Won't Open / Close

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Caravan SE

Today the passenger side power window stopped working. The driver side works fine however when i go to raise the passenger side via the driver switch or the passenger switch the passenger window remains open. It is currently sitting at 40% open

I havent investigated yet but is there a separate fuse for the passenger side power window? Whatever the cause i am ready to fix this problem myself. I have the Service Manual. When i get home i will start reading but wouldnt mind any good leads.

Thanks.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slam the door while holding the switch up. It may come alive and close for you. You'll most likely be changing the window regulator assembly. That's the motor, guides and cables. Verify it by checking for 12vdc with the switch thrown. If it's there change the assembly. No separate fuse. A single fuse and PTC circuit breaker power all the windows. Each motor has an internal PTC. Unfortunately if it goes you change the motor.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:23 AM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Slam the door while holding the switch up. It may come alive and close for you. You'll most likely be changing the window regulator assembly. That's the motor, guides and cables. Verify it by checking for 12vdc with the switch thrown. If it's there change the assembly. No separate fuse. A single fuse and PTC circuit breaker power all the windows. Each motor has an internal PTC. Unfortunately if it goes you change the motor.
Oddly enough the switch started working again and we were able to close the window. I've been told the same issue of the window not closing and then later it magically resolved itself had occurred before. We did not do the trick you suggested of closing the door with the switch up. Both the driver and passenger side switches now work in closing / opening the window.

Does this mean we still should get a replacement motor?

Old 06-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quantass
Oddly enough the switch started working again and we were able to close the window. I've been told the same issue of the window not closing and then later it magically resolved itself had occurred before. We did not do the trick you suggested of closing the door with the switch up. Both the driver and passenger side switches now work in closing / opening the window.

Does this mean we still should get a replacement motor?
Most likely eventually yes, you'll need a new motor. Some do get lucky though and never have a problem again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Window Won't Open / Close