Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2010 GC side and rear door problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:14 PM
bonipie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 GC side and rear door problems

Hi, All,
New here and happy that you're here. You may have talked about this here, but not much turned up in my search.

We had a problem today. Our rear door opened by itsself. And, our side passenger door opened by itsself twice. Conditions were pretty controlled-we weren't using the keys, didn't have them where they could be accidentally used.

I've seen talk about wiring in the wire looms, but with 2 doors involved, that complicates this. It started today, 3 times. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that has had broken wires in the doors that cause odd things to happen. So, that is on our minds.

Anyone have input on this problem? I sure would appreciate anything you have to offer.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:17 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

first thing you should do is check if anyone is messing with u.
2nd is stop by dealership and ask if there are any software updates.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:03 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

LOL FUNNY if the car down the street had the same signal causing your door to open aswell. check some did need a flash update to the modules. weird condition thats 4 sure.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:10 AM
bonipie

Thanks for the replies. I. will look into it. Boni

Old 05-28-2015, 12:20 PM
bonipie

Hi, long time no posts. I don't believe we have a side door problem-probably just us.

But, we do have a rear door problem and have had for about 2 years. It is so bad, we have disabled the rear door by removing the fuse. But, with the fuse out, we cannot open the rear door. It is locked-we were hoping we could use it manually, but not to be.

Now for the problem description. The door opens by itself. This is a locked door that opens by itself. Maybe not for 2 weeks, or a month, then many times. Maybe not for 2 hours, then opens again. We thought it was second key fob, so isolated it in a steel case out of range of door. Stayed closed for a couple of weeks. Then, when I was traveling 200 miles from fob, it opened 3 times in one day. Way out of range of other fob. It isn't the fob.

This is a very bad issue. Traveling by myself, going into Costco parking waaaay away from the building, I come out and the liftgate is open. This happened 3 times in one day-once when I was in WalMart buying a rope to tie down the liftgate.

Sometimes when the liftgate has opened (when locked), the liftgate will go down a couple of feet, then up, then down..... Then, it might close or stay open. If it closes, it's locked. Then, it will start all over again.

We left it tied closed for a couple of months, then decided it might give Dodge a bad name if we left it like that. So, we have taken the fuse out.

We would be using the liftgate daily as we fly radio control airplanes. But, we have to load and unload everything from the side doors. Some of the airplanes are 6 feet long/wide. This is why we own this vehicle. Hubby hates it-says it's possessed, and it is.

Any ideas? Trip to dealer is out of question. They are incompetent and dishonest.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:51 PM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a safety/security issue so you should probably have it looked at by a professional since this thread has been up nearly 3 years and no one has been able to help you. Pulling the fuse was the right thing to do but that should only be a temporary workaround. If you won't take it to your local dealership then consider taking it to the next dealership if there is another within an hour's drive, or find a local mechanic that is well versed in electrical systems.

Quick Reply: 2010 GC side and rear door problems