Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 Grand Caravan won't move in any gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 AM
mrs4dtough
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Grand Caravan won't move in any gear

Hello,

I was driving my 2002 Grand Caravan yesterday when it abruptly stopped moving, felt like the brakes were slammed on. I had just started going in a parking lot when it happened so it was at low speed. Now it does not move in any gear but will roll in neutral with the key off. P0700 and P0720 were the codes. My husband says that he was able to get the van to move a short distance (inches) in drive when he pushed hard on the accelerator. He also says that when it is put in reverse it lurches forward like it was shifted into drive. Transmission fluid is red, doesn't have any burnt odor & is full.

Could this be a problem with the TCM, the solenoid pack or the speed sensor, or is it something internal?

Any insight would be appreciated!!

Thanks for your time,
Christie

Old 11-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could this be? Yes, all the above but the output speed sensor circuit is suspect #1 according to the code. That eliminates the solenoid pack for now. What's not making sense in reading forums for many years I don't think I've ever read of a speed sensor circuit failure causing no shifting whatsoever and locking up the transmission. You may have more problems then the speed sensor circuit. Course I'm not a tech either.

Considering just the code the output speed sensor is the most likely culprit and is the fix most of the time. It's located on the front right of the transmission. They cost around $40 but prices vary. Check the connector for corrosion and security. Remove it with a socket/ratchet. You can test it and the wire harness with a multimeter. Just be aware the TCM and PCM can also cause the signal to fail. If you ever get it moving again you should notice the speedometer is dead or erratic. It uses the output speed sensor as a signal source.

Last edited by Cougar41; 11-01-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:52 PM
mrs4dtough

Thanks! My husband is going to try replacing the speed sensor this evening.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:34 PM
mrs4dtough

My husband put the van on his lift and took off the transmission pan, it had several metal pieces in it that were about 1/8" in size.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch! I don't need to say the obvious. Sad to say even if you get it rolling you're on borrowed time.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:57 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You may have notice a lot of metal on the output sensor too. Thats okay cougar, i'll say it. The planetary most likely came apart. Causing you to lose all forward gears.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:36 PM
homedad42

Sounds like a rebuilt transmission is in order

Quick Reply: 2002 Grand Caravan won't move in any gear