Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Parking Brake Auto Adjuster Tension Reset?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 12:21 PM
2therock
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I should have returned here instead of starting another thread. Brain Malfunction.

I need your help on this one. I changed the pedal and no change. I noticed just after pulling the pin and folding the carpet back that this pin of sorts was laying there on the insulation. I would have covered it up had I not seen it. Ohhh Geeze I thought! The old lever does not have it. Mercy.

And to add more to my stress levels the new lever changed nothing. I did several resets too.

I do notice with the pedal pressed the drivers side cable is tighter than the other. That wheel will spin by hand and the other has to be forced but can be moved.

I had it in the air and pulled the drums and had my GF slowly press the pedal and it seemed to take 4 to 5 clicks before I could see the mechanism move a shoe. My liners are 75% left or better.

Help? Stretched cables? What is this pin?

Thanks

Name:  mysterypin_zps0164941c.jpg
Views: 4795
Size:  328.2 KB

Old 09-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The pin is the piece that hold the auto adjuster in the released position so you can install the cable. When you install a new pedal, the last thing you do is pull the pin to release the spring. Then throw it away.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:58 PM
2therock
Veteran

Thanks, I knew about the pin. The one in the picture is something else or in addition to the one I pulled after the install. Anyways, I still don't have a parking brake.
I'm thinking stretched cables or an issue at the drums components?
Has anyone been here before? Do these cables stretch like this?
Thanks again.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

The one in the picture is a pin from the original or a dealer part, probably have 2 or 3 in my tool box. Never seen a stretched cable but that don't mean it can't happen. Are the rear shoes adjusted correctly?

Last edited by Tizzy1; 09-22-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:12 PM
2therock
Veteran

Yes, there is a slight drag.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

So the lever pivots on the trailing shoe and pushes the bottom bar forcing the leading shoe into the drum. So if the shoes are adjusted correctly and the pedal is new, not much left but the cables.

Last edited by Tizzy1; 09-23-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:25 PM
2therock
Veteran

Thanks,

Yes to the above. That or I purchased a defective pedal.

I'm going to find out though and post back.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:10 PM
Dennis1960
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the PARKING BRAKE AUTOMATIC ADJUSTER TENSION RESET located? Front? Rear? Driver side? I have a 2009 Grand Caravan and when I push the brake pedal all the way down it won't prevent the car from rolling.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:40 PM
polychromeuganda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Adjust is in the pedal

Originally Posted by Dennis1960
Where is the PARKING BRAKE AUTOMATIC ADJUSTER TENSION RESET located? Front? Rear? Driver side? I have a 2009 Grand Caravan and when I push the brake pedal all the way down it won't prevent the car from rolling.
The automatic adjustment has always been in the pedal assembly.It maintains a modest tension on the cables when the parking brake is released, not enough to move the levers.

If you have rear disc brakes and nothing happens when you try to set the parking brake... If you can get someone to help you, put the van in park and leave the engine off, slide in face up from the rear bumper just until you can see where the parking brake cable connects to the "lever" in the back of the brake shield on both sides. Ask your helper to set the parking brake and release it as you stare at one side and then the other. The end of the cable and the "lever" should move an inch or more. If nothing is moving its the "lever" that's stuck. Its inside the drum-in-hat brake assembly.

If the cable has popped off of the lever, try moving the lever before putting the cable back on. The cable only seems to pop off when the lever freezes midway.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:55 PM
2therock
Veteran

I gave up, traded it in for a Charger R/T.
😉

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Auto Adjuster Tension Reset?