Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 dodge caravan ac and air bad problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Big ty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 dodge caravan ac and air bad problem

The ac and heat only work when switch on high but ac dont blow cold air i read the switch going out is common is this true. Also my horn dont blow and the air bag light coming on is this common problem with the air bag. I heard and read it might little piece that went bad just wanted to check on here before carrying it to the shop they want alot money just to find what wrong with the horn let me know.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The heater only working on high usually means the blower resistor had failed. The connector usually melts to the resistor so you end up replacing both of them. The a/c system not blowing cold can be many things, it depends on weather you have freon in the system or not. Had problems with the high side pressure transducer, leak issues with the condenser and evaperator coils. The horn not working and airbag lamp on is usually the clockspring. It is possible that is covered by a recall.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:50 AM
JoshRamMiami

The clock spring is under recall to what I understand.

As for your A/C not blowing cold, I would have to agree with Tizzy. Since it is still blowing, It means your blower still works. It could mean you no longer have Freon in it and it is leaking some where.

You might wanna see if it is leaking first. A/C Shops usually do that and some don't charge much. And at least you can eliminate that possibility.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the narrative off the NHTSA website for the clockspring assembly:

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s): CHRYSLER / TOWN AND COUNTRY 1998-2000 DODGE / CARAVAN 1998-2000 DODGE / GRAND CARAVAN 1998-2000 PLYMOUTH / GRAND VOYAGER 1998-2000 PLYMOUTH / VOYAGER 1998-2000 NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 04V480000 Summary:
ON CERTAIN MINIVANS, THE DRIVER'S AIR BAG MAY BECOME DISABLED DUE TO A FAILURE OF THE CLOCKSPRING, WHICH IS LOCATED IN THE HUB OF THE STEERING WHEEL.
Consequence:
THIS CONDITION WILL MANIFEST ITSELF THROUGH ILLUMINATION OF THE AIR BAG WARNING LAMP, AND COULD EVENTUALLY RESULT IN A DRIVER'S AIR BAG OPEN CIRCUIT, IF THE PART IS NOT REPLACED IN A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CLOCKSPRING ASSEMBLY ON ALL COVERED VEHICLES WITH 70,000 MILES OR LESS. FOR THOSE VEHICLES WITH MORE THAN 70,000 MILES, DAIMLERCHRYSLER WILL OFFER AN EXTENDED LIFETIME WARRANTY UNDER WHICH IT WILL REPLACE THE CLOCKSPRING AT NO CHARGE IF IT FAILS. DAIMLERCHRYSLER WILL ALSO REIMBURSE OWNERS WHO HAVE PAID TO HAVE THE CLOCKSPRING REPLACED ON THEIR VEHICLES. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 12, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
Notes:
DAIMLERCHRYSLER RECALL NO. D17. CUSTOMERS CAN CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Old 04-23-2014, 05:22 PM
slbitter
Default 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan sport

My AC suddenly quit blowing cool air. The blower works but only on high. We tried to put freon in but it wouldnt take it (we did drain what was left first). I can afford to put it in the shop for trial and error. Any suggestions?

Old 04-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sure, I have suggestions. Blower only working on high is a resistor failure. The resistor is in the engine compartment up by the right strut top. Most of the time the connector is also bad and will need to be replaced.

A/C not cooling, no Freon or low on charge. First off, you can't put Freon in until you put a vacuum in the system, otherwise it won't cool very well. Main leak areas are condenser leak due to a rock hit. Evaporator coil leak because they all do. You can check the evaporator by lowering the glove box and pulling out the temp sensor grommet. Have seen some leaks at the compressor front seal. I usually charge the system and install some leak detection dye so the leak can be located.

Quick Reply: 2000 dodge caravan ac and air bad problem