Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2012 Grand Caravan Recall - REPROGRAM POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:23 PM
RugerRedhawk
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Grand Caravan Recall - REPROGRAM POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

Anyone have info on this? Just found it for my VIN on the dodge owners website. Will call my dealer, but posting a headsup for anyone here. The link tot he details is broken.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:49 PM
vonJaerschky
Amateur

Thanks for the heads up. I entered my VIN, and got the same result, but when I clicked on the link for the details, there is an error, as you say. It says the recall was issued on January 18, so I'll wait a few days and see if I get a letter in the mail.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Customer Satisfaction Notification M38

Reprogram Powertrain Control Module

It is a flash for the PCM for transmission shift improvements.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

It was just released, the recall is for '11 - 13 RT minivans.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 PM
RugerRedhawk
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
It was just released, the recall is for '11 - 13 RT minivans.
I don't have an RT trim, just SXT, but dodge brought it up for my VIN.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was posted on another forum:

FYI: Today there was a Customer Satisfaction Notification M38 - Reprogram Powertrain Control Module announcement made for the 2011-2013 (RT) Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country

NOTE: This notification applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine (sales code ERB) and a six speed automatic transaxle (sales code DG2) built through September 25, 2012

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) on the above vehicles may contain software programming that could cause poor automatic transaxle shift quality. The new PCM software program will improve the shift quality of the automatic transaxle.

The PCM must be reprogrammed with new software (Flashed).

Customers who vehicles are affected will receive the letter listed below:

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION NOTIFICATION M38 - REPROGRAM POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

Dear: (Name)

At Chrysler Group LLC, you can be assured that we are changing the way we look at quality. To prove our commitment to quality, the company is investing in and prioritizing improvements for every vehicle that we build. As part of that commitment, we are also targeting existing vehicles on the road today and contacting our customers to provide these quality improvements, at no charge, that will help to improve your ownership satisfaction.

We are recommending the following improvements be performed on some 2011 through 2013 model year Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine and a six speed transaxle.

Recommended Service:
The Powertrain Control Module on your vehicle (VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) may contain software programming that could cause poor automatic transaxle shift quality. The new Powertrain Control Module software program will improve the shift quality of the automatic transaxle.

What your dealer will do:
Chrysler will service your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will reprogram the Powertrain Control Module. The work will take about ½ hour to complete. We recommend that you make an appointment with your dealer to minimize your inconvenience.

What you should do:
Simply contact your Chrysler, Jeep, or Dodge dealer, at your convenience, to schedule a service appointment. Your dealer will collect the necessary information to ensure that the appropriate parts are available so your service can be completed in a timely manner. Although not required, we recommend bringing this letter with you to your dealer, when you bring your vehicle in for this service.

If you need help:
Please contact the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403.
If you have already experienced this condition and have paid to have it repaired, please send your original receipts and/or other adequate proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement: Chrysler Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 21-8007, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007, Attention: Reimbursement. Once we receive and verify the required documents, reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days.

We apologize for any inconvenience this service may cause to your schedule. Moving forward we are committed to providing our customers with world class quality products, ensuring that you have a positive dealership experience and following up on any issues and concerns that you may have in a timely manner through our Customer Assistance Center.

Sincerely,

Customer Service / Field Operations
Chrysler Group LLC
Notification Code M38

Old 01-22-2013, 04:45 PM
RugerRedhawk
Rookie

Thanks

Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RugerRedhawk
I don't have an RT trim, just SXT, but dodge brought it up for my VIN.
RT refers to the platform/body code, not to the R/T trim level.

All Chrysler minivans from 2008 to present are RT platform/body code. The code for 2001 thru 2007 vans is RS.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

yep, flash for the PCM for trans shift issues.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM
TJeepman
Professional

Makes the econ mode work smoother apparently.

Quick Reply: 2012 Grand Caravan Recall - REPROGRAM POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE