Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Rust on the Hood

Old 10-19-2014, 11:56 AM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lscman
My aftermarket hood is nicely primed and needs no prep at all aside from wiping dust off with a damp rag.

maaco paint shop (national chain) will prep and spray a whole vehicle for under $500. Based upon that they would likely do a hood for $75 because they can mix paint in the shop. Most shops will charge more because they buy paint mixed at a paint store and it costs them $50 and up.

On the other end of the spectrum, a specialty body shop may charge $10,000 for a car paint job. A small premium paint shop would charge 1hr labor plus paint which could push $150. Costs vary wildly, get estimate.

For an older van I'd buy 3 $10 cans of touch-up paint....2 cans of color and one can of clear then do it myself. Paint the inside, let it dry, flip it over to paint the top with 2 coats. It would take a couple hours in total. I'd clear coat the top only.
Thanks for that info, it's interesting.

If you have an older vehicle and don't need 100% perfection, is there any reason to NOT give painting a try DIY style? I'd like to learn how to do paint at some point so I'm curious about the process

Old 10-20-2014, 06:11 PM
brandofamily
Rookie

Originally Posted by mfahey
Actually, after some investigation, the place turned out to be pretty shady. There are places on eBay and Amazon that have the hoods fairly cheap and have better reviews.
What was the company name... I've used a few in your area and want to stay clear.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:41 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't remember the name but their address was in Naperville. I showed up to check things out and it looked like a mail drop which on top of all the bad reviews I read meant I just kept going.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:50 PM
brandofamily
Rookie

I don't remember the name but their address was in Naperville. I showed up to check things out and it looked like a mail drop which on top of all the bad reviews I read meant I just kept going.
I think I bought a bumper cover from them. Did they offer the hood painted your factory color too?

Old 10-21-2014, 06:51 AM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes and the painting part was where I saw the most complaints.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:36 PM
brandofamily
Rookie

Yes and the painting part was where I saw the most complaints.
I think the name was D&H or something like that. I bought the bumper cover for my Cavalier (painted and installed by them) still looks great after 4+ years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rust on the Hood