Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Car won't turn over, clicking noise. Battery or engine seize?

Old 04-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Gepmommy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Car won't turn over, clicking noise. Battery or engine seize?

2004 Grand Caravan : Replaced radiator last fall told I had a hole causing the very obvious leak. Temp gauge still rising into red after replacement. Then told had a hairline crack in engine block. Sealed added. Fingers crossed. After driving 10 minutes temp gauge would rise and ding then drop back down. Doing this for two months. Always checked fluid levels they were topped off. The more local driving stop and go. The more the temp rising and dinging. The more continuos nonstop driving, no dinging. Other day go to start car, makes a clicking sound. I think this is it, it's dead finally. Nope. It started up. Last night come home, go to head back out. Click sound is back no turning over.
Could this be the battery? It's old. Or could the engine have seized up?
Any suggestions?

Old 04-05-2013, 12:08 PM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like your temp gauge is rising when you stop and falling when you are stepping on the gas. If that's the case that could mean air in the cooling system. To bleed the air you need to run the engine with the radiator cap off and heater(s) set to high. You should see the coolant bubble at the radiator neck and the level should go down. Do this at least until the engine gets to normal operating temperature then top off the radiator. If the '05 has a bleeder on the thermostat housing it may be easier to do it that way, but I've never worked on a car with that feature so I never learned how to do it.

As for your no-start issue, will the car start with a jump start? If so I'd suspect the battery but it could also be the alternator. If it still doesn't start you could have a problem with a number of other things like the starter, ignition coil(s), alternator, etc. I find it unlikely (but not impossible) that the engine has seized up - there should have been other symptoms like noises or vibration/shaking.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:41 PM
fretolok11

Could be dirty battery terminals. Did yu replace your thermostat? Might not be opening til its real hot. Could have an air pocket too.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 PM
TJeepman
Professional

Some radiators are bad out of the box, missing baffles maybe, which allows coolant to short circuit across the radiator rather than flowing through it. Check out this site to appreciate such a problem: http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...)?daysprune=60
Mystery solved! I took the van to the dealership; after 3 days, they couldn’t find anything wrong with the radiator, cooling system components, or the indicating system, and suggested there is something wrong with the cylinder heads or the block. So, I went back to the forum to see what responses I received.

Special thanks to Jeepman and Imahokie! I purchased a new radiator and pulled the old one. Even before I put the new one in, I grabbed my slip-joint plyers and pulled the end tank off to check that baffle. Sure as S#!t, the baffle was gone. With the baffle gone, hot water entering the radiator is allowed to flow directly back to “pump suction” without having to pass throught the radiator cooling fin.
As for starting, an old battery may provide enough juice for your lights but be way short on the amount required for the starter. When the battery is low, there will be a clicking noise like you described. A jump start will likely get it going.

Last edited by TJeepman; 04-05-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:46 PM
BethDenham

I have an 02 caravan that clicks but wont start
the engine was just put in. i moved relays around and nothing im waiting for the tow truck to bring it. The starter is new. and Im not a dodge person but im thinking ecm fuse any ideas

Old 05-31-2013, 08:04 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BethDenham
I have an 02 caravan that clicks but wont start
the engine was just put in. i moved relays around and nothing im waiting for the tow truck to bring it. The starter is new. and Im not a dodge person but im thinking ecm fuse any ideas
Should have made your own thread but you're here so here we go. I take it you turn the key but you get no rotation and only hear a click. The click is an indication the PCM (your ECM) is doing it's job. It supplies the ground to the starter relay coil. The output contacts send power to the starter solenoid contacts. If either click the PCM is ok in this fail mode at least.

I would suspect a weak battery, corroded battery or starter connections or worn solenoid contacts in the starter (#3). Clean the battery connections. Have the battery load tested. Check for 12vdc at the starter solenoid connection (smaller of the two) with the key at start. If it's there your new starter is toast. You have a new engine. Could it have siezed?

Last edited by Cougar41; 05-31-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car won't turn over, clicking noise. Battery or engine seize?