Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Van will crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 02:49 PM
JakobGeoffrey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Van will crank but no start

2007 Dodge Caravan, 2.4L engine. Died a week ago at a light, had to push to safety. Thought it was the fuel pump but it is cycling the way it is supposed to and i can smell fuel at the fuel rail. Replaced the ignition coil with a new one and still no fire. Tried jumping and it tried a few times , just barely a noticeable attempt to fire, Have checked all the relays and they all seem to be working properly. Have not touched the cam sensor yet, and i am hoping that the ECM/PCM is not bad. This van came straight off the floor and has had only one owner who has taken very good care of it. Last full tune up was a month ago and all was fine till this last Monday. If this model has a kill switch i have not been able to locate it. Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know little about the 2.4 ltr but I think it has a timing belt. Is it broken or slipped? If the engine sounds like it spins easier than usual while cranking or you have no spark, it could be.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:35 PM
JakobGeoffrey

The timing belt is sound and in good shape and there is plenty of compression. The engine spins/cranks like it supposed to. It tried a few times today to fire but no dice. Not a full fire up but a sputter like it was trying but still nothing.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:25 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read this post on how the system works and see a wiring diagram

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice...ysler-vehicles

Old 04-21-2013, 11:19 PM
JakobGeoffrey

Thank You RickMN. I will check this out and let you know.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:32 PM
JakobGeoffrey

Well, I checked all the relays in the power junction box, using the horn relay as a test relay ,tested each relay in the horn relay socket and all worked, and still come up with the same result. It tried a few times to fire off but still did not completely turn over enough to start the engine. Just a sputter here and a sputter there. I have concerns of damaging the starter cylonoid from overheating and cranking too much not to mention battery never being the same. If anyone can help me with this puzzle it would be greatly appreciated. Really, really do not want to send it to the dealer. Don't have that kind of money right at the moment. Thanks to all who reply in advance.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:01 PM
JakobGeoffrey

Ok...question? Is there a way to test the PCM for faults or defectiveness ?

Old 04-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Town
Amateur

The symptoms you describe may be due to the crankshaft position sensor (CKP) needing replacement. So I have attached an article that deals with 4 cylinder chrysler engines and testing the CKP as connected: http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/chr...ank-sensor-1#1 hope this helps.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Van will crank but no start