Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2005 Dodge Caravan 3.3 - multiple issues, please help!

Old 05-09-2013, 11:00 PM
rizwanq77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dodge Caravan 3.3 - multiple issues, please help!

Sorry

Last edited by rizwanq77; 07-19-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: None
Old 05-09-2013, 11:12 PM
rizwanq77

Just wanted to add to the post that since I have gotten my van back with the new PCM, there have 3 instances where the transmission did not seems to shift right.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:38 PM
flying squirrel

That sucks that nobody is helping you with this. I am having similar issues and wanted to see what advice you were getting.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your PCM is a combination PCM and Transmission Control Module (TCM) in one box. When they changed the PCM they should have performed what's called a "quick learn" procedure to baseline the shifting qualities. If they didn't it will take longer for the transmissiion to relearned your driving habits. If you are still having shift problems after two weeks of daily driving you may have issues beyond this and I'd be looking at a faulty PCM again.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:04 PM
rizwanq77

Originally Posted by flying squirrel
That sucks that nobody is helping you with this. I am having similar issues and wanted to see what advice you were getting.
Yep, I was expecting a lot more responses on this issue.

Wait, someone just replied, I will answer.

Thanks

Old 05-22-2013, 08:11 PM
rizwanq77

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Your PCM is a combination PCM and Transmission Control Module (TCM) in one box. When they changed the PCM they should have performed what's called a "quick learn" procedure to baseline the shifting qualities. If they didn't it will take longer for the transmissiion to relearned your driving habits. If you are still having shift problems after two weeks of daily driving you may have issues beyond this and I'd be looking at a faulty PCM again.
Thanks for your response.

They replaced the PCM but my spedometer and odometer are still not working. I have driven about 300 kms since then and except for the fact that the speedometer and odometer are not working - everything else seems to be fine. However, the check engine light (code P0501) is still there. I use my van for work and just have not had a chance to get the check engine code checked out and cluster replaced. The mechanic that I want to take my van to is 100 kms away so I have to find time for this.

Do you know if I keep driving the way it is, can it may cause more problems? Is P0501 code related to my existing problems?

Old 05-23-2013, 10:45 AM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps this will shed some light on your issue:
P0501 - Vehicle Speed Sensor Range/Performance

You can also Google "P0501" to find other websites that might list slightly different possible causes. Given what I've read I don't think your cluster is bad, I'm more inclined to think it's the vehicle speed sensor. I'm not sure how many VSS the GC has or where it/they might be located but I'd have those checked out before blaming the cluster, especially if your fuel/ECT gauges and idiot lights are working. Does your cluster have a tach, and if so does it work?

Old 06-17-2013, 12:57 PM
rizwanq77

Update:

I finally was able to find time to take it to another auto shop for a 2nd opinion.

They tried 2 different clusters and none of them worked. They also ran a complete diagnostics and there is an EVAP code (which I was aware of and is old) and the other one is P0501 - speed sensor.

They had also replaced the speed sensor but the cluster (speedometer and odometer) still do not work.

I was told that this is most likely the PCM problem that Meineke had replaced but in order for them to conclusively state that, they have to run some other troubleshooting/tests. They will then give me this in writing (if PCM was bad). I will then take it to Meineke and have them take care of it.

I have to now find time again to bring it to their shop.

Stay tuned....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge Caravan 3.3 - multiple issues, please help!