Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Vans & CUVs > Dodge Caravan
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2012 rough idle

Old 05-27-2013, 01:22 AM
Rookie
Garage is empty, add now

Default 2012 rough idle

anyone experiencing a rough idle?
It seems that after a good long run and come to a light, the idle is quite rough, kinda like a vacuum leak or something.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:54 AM
Garage is empty, add now

You mean like a misfire? I get that since day 1.
It does it when the engine is cold or hot. It stumblers and act like it's going to die. But it never does. Mine is also a 2012 and currently has 7000 miles and runs perfect....
Old 05-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Amateur
Garage is empty, add now

If it's under warranty, which I'm guessing it is, have the dealer look at it. My stumble turned out to be one of the 7500 that had to have one of the banks of the heads replaced. It wasn't a recall though as it only would come up under certain circumstances. Not trying to scare you into thinking it's something major, just saying let the dealer figure it out when there's a warranty.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Garage is empty, add now

I feel for ya. I have had this problem since my 2011 Crew was brand new. I have had in looked at by "3" different dealerships a total of 16 times, along with transmission issues and wheel shake. The first time they admitted it was a problem, and it was due to water in the gas (free fill up they gave me when I purchased) after 2 tanks of fresh gas, it persisted. Now they said it was completely normal. The engine was trying get the idle as low as possible to conserve fuel. There was no misfire, even though Chrysler had a huge issue with misfires due to bad heads, and were replacing about 17,000 of them free of charge. They told me each time that they could not do ANYTHING without the engine throwing a code, or a MIL. I finally got Chrysler to give me a 100,000 mile warrantee in leau of me pushing to Lemon Law it.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:51 PM
Rookie
Garage is empty, add now

Default threw a code P302 #2 cyl misfire

the idle got worse and threw a code P302. Took it to the dealer today so I will report back in a few days as to the result.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Rookie
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryC View Post
the idle got worse and threw a code P302. Took it to the dealer today so I will report back in a few days as to the result.

Most likely a cylinder head failure.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Rookie
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGCaravan View Post
Most likely a cylinder head failure.
That is exactly what it was. # 2 cylinder loosing compression so I got a new head under warranty. Idles very nice so far. Hopefully the dealer was truthful when they told me the new head was redesigned, and not just a remanufactured head.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:55 AM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryC View Post
That is exactly what it was. # 2 cylinder loosing compression so I got a new head under warranty. Idles very nice so far. Hopefully the dealer was truthful when they told me the new head was redesigned, and not just a remanufactured head.
I think all they did is upgraded to more Hardened Valve Seat and Valve. But so far, any 3.6l built after 2012 doesn't have problems, only the first wave built in 2011 are affected. So I assume Chrysler has permanently fixed the issue.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:42 PM
Garage is empty, add now

So the shaking and vibration is gone? I'm glad you finally got resolution. I guess I am going to be stuck with this problem unless it throws a code for some reason. You would think that they would do a compression test, just off the fact that it "feels" like something is amiss. I understand why they won't do it. Chrysler is not going to pay them for diagnostic work due to what the "customer" perceives. Tell him its normal, and hope it holds together untill the warranty is up.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Amateur
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVanDad View Post
So the shaking and vibration is gone? I'm glad you finally got resolution. I guess I am going to be stuck with this problem unless it throws a code for some reason. You would think that they would do a compression test, just off the fact that it "feels" like something is amiss. I understand why they won't do it. Chrysler is not going to pay them for diagnostic work due to what the "customer" perceives. Tell him its normal, and hope it holds together untill the warranty is up.
They fixedc my head. Engine stumbled and no codes were being thrown. Try another dealership maybe?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:50 AM