Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Grand Caravan 3.3l Sputtering, sometimes dies under WOT

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Cortman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Grand Caravan 3.3l Sputtering, sometimes dies under WOT

We just got a well used 2008 Grand Caravan with the 3.3liter engine. 209k miles on it. The check engine light had been on, but I forget what the code was "random misfire" and maybe crankshaft position sensor. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor, but it is still doing it. It randomly cuts out and misbehaves, noticeable only when hill climbing or stabbing the throttle. We have had it choke off completely when if we floor it from a dead stop, but that only happens rarely.

The thing that bugs me: There are no codes showing up! Did I perhaps get a bad new sensor? Could it be some other sensor that I am haven't heard about?

Camshaft? (not sure what that does)

EGR? (but this thing runs like a top!)

Coilpack? (but that's expensive)

Throttle Position Sensor? (Hmm. Probably even more expensive)

This random hesitation and stuttering under throttle must be fairly common. One of our friends has a van very similar, lower miles though, that said they have the same problem. Anybody have any good ideas?

Old 06-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it's starved for fuel. Might check the fuel pressure though I don't know the spec on a 5th generation van.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Cortman

That is a good idea, it hadn't really crossed my mind that the fuel pump could be about shot if it has 209k. Trying to think of what other symptoms I should look for if it is a weak pump.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:07 PM
lovvorn
Banned
Default It's the MAP sensor !

I've had this problem over the years with mine & my neighbors cars .
A eaisy fix on the right top of the intake disconnect the wiring then turn the MAP to the left & lift out . Good luck . Lovvorn

Old 06-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Cortman

Ok, some codes finally showed up: P0404 and P0339. The first indicates an EGR problem. Would that make it do all this sputtering and stuff? The second code is about the crankshaft position sensor, which I have already replaced. Hm.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:00 AM
EdmondElburn

Replace them again. Or make sure the connection is good and tight

Old 11-10-2013, 06:35 PM
lvaldes

I have the same problem and already replaced the crankshaft position sensor twice from the Dealer and the problem and code P0340 still there

Old 11-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a faulty egr will not cause misfire or affect performance at wide open throttle. The rough engine symptoms will only surface at part throttle, tip in and especially idle. If it sticks closed, the engine will run better than new but may throw codes lol. If it sticks open, the idle will be rough or may stall. If it intermittently sticks, part throttle operation & idle performance will be poor.

With 209k mi and symptoms at hard throttle, I'd be changing the gasoline filter which may be plugged and restricting fuel flow. However I hear that for 2008 and up the fuel filter is no longer a separate part and it's possibly integral part of the fuel pump assembly inside the tank. Maybe you have a cracked fuel pump assembly as was mentioned in a recent thread.

Last edited by Lscman; 11-13-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:44 AM
Cortman
Default Solved

This may sound kind of silly and hardly fair after waiting so long, but we weren't driving the vehicle much. It turned out to be loose battery connections that were making it do that stuttering and cutting out.

I do think there were some other parts that were bad and I still have a P0403 and a P0406 showing up, but I can't clear them out with the tools that I have. I should just drop by the local parts store and borrow their scanner to clear it.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Cortman

Ok. We still have not resolved this issue. I will give you the list of parts we have installed.

OE Champion spark plugs
MAP sensor
Crankshaft position sensor
EVAP canister
Throttle body

I think that is everything that we have changed so far. If i think of more i will post it. Apparently it was not the battery cable. Sometimes when it gets really bad, you can stop and pull the battery cable for a little and then it will run fine for a little while.

When it gets into this sputtering, it's not like it is just not running quite right. It feels more like the power is completely cut off for 1/2 a second.

Also we noticed the traction control and/or abs light blinks sometimes when it is acting up. Could it be the traction control thinking the wheels are spinning and it's trying to cut power? We are almost ready to take it to a mechanic, which is saying a lot.

We are thinking of putting on a ignition coil next.

The problem is so intermittent that it is really hard to get it to do it when you want to.

Ideas?

Quick Reply: 2008 Grand Caravan 3.3l Sputtering, sometimes dies under WOT